PDA

View Full Version : New tank...lots of plant questions

Concelor
05-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Finally my new tank is cycled so I'm lowing adding fish, but more importantly plans (56 gallons, 4 T5ho wavepoint)
I just added in one corner a nice tree stump and attached some java moss on the front
In the other corner I was hoping to make a series of caves using stones and smaller pieces of driftwood

1) If I wanted to blend in the layers of stones/driftwood naturally is there a moss that would look great along with java moss, I've been looking for a species that would look like a moss ball if it was flat (deep green and fluffy) or can you guys think of a great way to blend in the flat rocks stones driftwood...to make it look like a kill in the end

2)It's a deep tank 25 inches before the top of the substrate so I've been told carpeting is not possible and that mosses maybe my only choices, is that true and or can you guys recommend some great eye catching plants

3) I've been contacted by a couple of people on the board that for a larger tank getting a few Marimo balls might be a cool addition, what does everyone think?

funkman262
05-13-2011, 06:36 PM
I have pygmy chain sword as a foreground plant in my 2' tall tank and it seems to be doing well. It's not glosso but it's a decent carpeting plant. With a 4-bulb T5HO fixture you'll be able to grow more than you think.

DrNic
05-13-2011, 07:05 PM
A 4 bulb T5 setup should give you a pretty good amount of light with the right bulbs. I'd be surprised if you have problems. I have a single T8 setup on my 75G at the moment with a 8500K bulb and can grow just about any plant I put in (although the fish eventually eat most of them).

Marimo moss balls would probably work in that tank. You should put some serious thought to using christmas moss or some other moss besides java moss. Java moss can get messy VERY fast. I prefer christmas moss but there are a few types out there that all have similar light requirements.

One way to blend different pieces of decor like rocks and driftwood is stack the driftwood on the rocks but off to the side a bit, then plant something like java ferns or anubius such that it's growing on both the rock and the wood. It gives a nice blended feel and makes the setup look like it's been together for a long time.

For carpeting I would just try a bunch of stuff out. IMO you should have enough light for carpet plants but many of them can be picky about ferts and CO2 so it's somewhat hit or miss. I would try some sag, dwarf hairgrass and glosso to start with and see what grows.

Concelor
05-15-2011, 05:00 AM
Where's a good place to get different mosses, my LFS are huge Java moss fans
And kept right some of their tanks look awesome with it

funkman262
05-15-2011, 02:49 PM
The classifieds of these type of forums or aquabid