PDA

View Full Version : Reporting a death

sunfishman
05-13-2011, 12:55 AM
I came home today to find my 14 year old common pleco laying on its side gasping. tonight it died and I believe the cause to be that it was kept in a 10 gallon for almost 8 years, which greatly stunted it. I suppose it's lifespan was shortened. but it lived out the rest of it's years after being removed to a bigger tank in relative peace. so rest in peace shark-vac.

Brhino
05-13-2011, 01:07 AM
sorry for your loss. I think 14 years for a common pleco is pretty respectable, so you must have been doing a good job for it to live this long after the stunting.

Cliff
05-13-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss

As Brhino said, you must have been giving shark-vac a really good home for him to live that long after starting out in less than good conditions

Rue
05-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Sorry about your pleco.:scry:

funkman262
05-13-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. Any pics of him? I doubt many hobbyists have their common pleco live that long in an aquarium so good job.

sunfishman
05-13-2011, 10:55 PM
unfortunately, no pics. But thank you for your condolences everyone.

Strider199
05-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Sorry to hear of shark-vac departure sunfishman. As others have said, 14 years is a heck of an accomplishment. Shark-vac must have been one wise pleco after all that time in your home. Bet he knew when the treats were coming.

sunfishman
05-14-2011, 12:38 AM
yeah, he would do a sort of shimmey across the front glass when he saw me reach for the food. he would pollish off fruit and seaweed like nothing. plecos are amazing, now I want to get another, they seem like they have more personality than most would say.

sunfishman
05-15-2011, 02:28 AM
I don;t know how to say this, I just dont. I had the little guy in a hospital tank when I saw he was dying, and My dad came over the other day at lunch and I asked him to dispose of the body if it had died that morning. I came home and he called and said it was gone. but today he told me that he was still alive in one of his tanks! There is a slight chance it will pull through, but I feel like a moron for passing him for dead. It's like having a funeral with the dead guy making a speech. My dad is a vet and is looking after him. After this, I think I just have a knack for getting invincible fish. I absolutely cannot believe that shark vac made it. it still looks iffy but at least theres hope he will live for a while longer. I feel like the biggest moron, I had thought he was dead and apparently he still has some spark in him.

funkman262
05-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Wow. Just wow. lol

Well it's good to hear that there's still a chance he'll make it. Good luck nursing him back to health.

Cyberra
05-15-2011, 02:34 AM
O_O That is one incredible pleco. I hope he pulls through

sunfishman
05-17-2011, 01:41 AM
pouring on the melafix and cucumber slices, looks like h*** but moving around more more each day. keep him in your thoughts.

sunfishman
05-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, today he really is dead. and he was looking like he was going to make it. Will be looking for a whiptail catfish for a replacement.
On the bright side, I found that two different sizes of ACmoore pencil boxes make a great pleco sarcophagus

Cyberra
05-18-2011, 03:57 AM
Poor Shark-vac... I'm sorry for your loss