PDA

View Full Version : walmart bulbs growing like crazy

mrslolo83
05-10-2011, 03:23 PM
about 2 months ago i put the anoponogen (i think thats the name lol) bulbs in my tank from walmart, the first couple of them sprouted but stayed small, i only had 1 tiger barb (he ate his friends) so i gave him to my sister and i got mollies and platies. the bulbs have grown and sprouted new ones (even where there isnt a bulb). the main one has sprouted a skinny stalk up through the top of the water within the last week. im very happy but dont know if i should cut it off or what? it looks like it might be starting to get a flower or someting at the top. has anyone successfully grown these? they have really taken off within the last 2 weeks that ive had the mollies and platies :clap:

Stlouisfish
05-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Wow - lucky you - I bought a pack of those and not a single one sprouted. By the time they were 6 weeks old, I had lost the receipt so I couldn't contact the company for replacements : (

Goes to 11!
05-10-2011, 07:24 PM
I had 4 or 5 Aponogeton sprout out of two packs [But I have previously had a full pack do nothing . . ] The plecos munched the rest too severely for them to have a chance. :shrug:

Go ahead and cut the flower spike [And do so each time you recognize one - Unless you want it to attempt to let it flower. You may have plantlets with roots growing at each internode on it, I try to replant these but it's too early to tell how they will go :sconfused: ].
If you let the flower spike grow the plant may put all of its energy into that process instead of leaf or root production.

mrslolo83
05-11-2011, 04:29 PM
thank you for your replies :) these were my first live plants, i have since planted the lily hybrid bulbs too but it says they take up to 20 days to sprout.. so far nothing but its only been a week or so lol.. anyways thanks again for your replies.

Lady10Godiva
07-24-2012, 03:40 PM
We have had really good luck with the plant bulbs from petsmart and they have onion plants in them too.

Goes to 11!
07-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Lol - The post before yours is over a year old Lady10, Might want to check the freshness date before posting.
:22:

Lady10Godiva
07-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Huh it was at the top of the list before I posted.....I think there was a post there...my bad.

Goes to 11!
07-24-2012, 05:25 PM
NBD, Just a heads up is all. It happens once in a while [Guilty here lol].