PDA

View Full Version : how often does filter need changing? confused,

smokeypea
05-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi, i am new to this, just got 20 gallon tank two weeks ago, bit confused, i have Top Fin power filter, it says i should change cartridge filter every 3-4 weeks, but after reading things on line i saw that you only change it every 2 or 3 months, please let me know the correct time. thanks. :) :?

rollie
05-05-2006, 09:39 PM
it depend on the alot of things. like how many fish, how big they are and how must you feed. plus how often you do a water change. you should be able to go at least 1 to2 mouths .

smokeypea
05-05-2006, 10:07 PM
i have 15 fish, mostly neons and guppies, and 2 cat fish, i was told to do a 20% water change every two weeks, and to put in Aquasafe water conditioner in when i do the change, if i dont change the filter, do i have to take it out and wash it? if so warm water or cold? thanks for the quick reply.

rollie
05-05-2006, 10:51 PM
should be able to go 2 mouth. if wash it used warm water(60 to70f)

William
05-06-2006, 02:31 AM
I agree. However I want to note that you shouldn't use water that is hoter then the temp stated above. Also for most filters you donšt have to change the cartridge, cleaning it is enough and saves you money.

NorthernBoy
05-06-2006, 04:22 AM
I always rinse my filters with only cold water so I do not kill the beneficial bacteria. I can go about 3 months with my biowheel filter on my 20 g. and I rinse out about 1 time between unless there is a huge algae bloom and filter gets kinda clogged. You will notice that the water flows significantly slower if you need to rinse. If you are useing a biowheel only change the filter though never the biowheel it self.

stardotstar
07-08-2006, 11:57 AM
I understand that rinsing the filter core should only be done in water extracted from the aquarium so the chlorine in tap water doesn't kill the beneficial bateria is this right? How is this done? Do you wring it out or how do you know it is properly cleaned?>