PDA

View Full Version : tiny white worms in my tank!

clainbro2
05-07-2011, 04:56 AM
Okay so I was looking at my baby gsp and I noticed A BUNCH of little white worms crawling on the glass and floating around the tank. Are they bad, will it hurt my puffer? I don't mind them if there just chillin there but if its bad I need to know how to get rid of it.

~Col~
05-07-2011, 05:01 AM
Could be planaria. They grow when there is too much food in the tank.

Clean the glass, do a water change and reduce the feedings and they should disappear.

clainbro2
05-07-2011, 05:06 AM
I have been doing water changes every day. And the food I give to my puffer does even hit the ground. But if it was planaria would that be bad?

korith
05-07-2011, 05:57 AM
I have been doing water changes every day. And the food I give to my puffer does even hit the ground. But if it was planaria would that be bad?

They don't do any harm, some fish will actually just eat them. Nothing to worry about. Planaria are a good sign that you are overfeeding the tank. Like Col said, just cut back on feeding a bit, and maybe take a vac to substrate. Water changes will definitely help as well.

JohnnyOnTheSpot
05-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Oh wow, I just noticed these in my tank and had no clue they were living, I didn't think anything of them. Guess I'm over-feeding. I really have no clue how much to feed them...

Cermet
05-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Most common fish should only have enough food to last a minute or so before it is exhausted. Exceptions are common, too but that is a general guide line for many types. If any significant amount of food is falling to the bottom and you don't have a clean up crew, then that will build up. I've found old food buried under wood that itself was buried well down into the substrate.

JohnnyOnTheSpot
05-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Most common fish should only have enough food to last a minute or so before it is exhausted. Exceptions are common, too but that is a general guide line for many types. If any significant amount of food is falling to the bottom and you don't have a clean up crew, then that will build up. I've found old food buried under wood that itself was buried well down into the substrate.

The problem is it's hard to gauge because my fish space out, never notice it at first, and celebrate in between bites it seems. Plus most hit the floor because I pre-soak them, so I don't really know what's a proper amount to hit the floor.