PDA

View Full Version : What kind of rock & how big for java fern?

ArkD'Julie
05-07-2011, 02:36 AM
I've got a baby java fern that came off of a leaf tip while vacuuming gravel yesterday.

I thought I'd try to attach it to a rock instead of wood, as I've already got a really nice one started on wood, and will be doing another one on wood when I can find a decent piece of it.

So, what size of rock should I use.... is there a "minimum size" for it to do well? Also, what type of rock? Would pretty much any type work which is safe for an aquarium?

Thanks!

Strider199
05-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I think your right ArkD'Julie, a rock which is safe in the aquarium will work. Now the only questions left is; what type of rock and what size?

I have a java fern tied down with fishing line on some grey slate. But thats my tank, I'm not sure what you prefer. A rock doesn't have to be overly large to hold a plant down so I would say something about 2" should be good for that baby java fern. Or think into the future and pick something about 5" so the plant when mature will look proportioned.
As I said I perfer slate because of my set-up and the ease in which a plant can be attached to it.

ArkD'Julie
05-08-2011, 04:44 AM
Thanks, Strider. I was just curious if there is any particular type of rock onto which a java fern's roots would "grip" best. I would just assume a really smooth rock wouldn't be as good as a rougher surfaced one.

But, if I look at the java fern I have tied to a piece of wood in one of my tanks, it's roots are all over the place..... looks like they're going everywhere BUT attaching themselves to the wood! lol So, maybe the type of rock does not matter at all, as long as it's safe and doesn't alter the water's chemistry.

Gonna go prepare some of the rocks I collected several days ago. :)

Strider199
05-08-2011, 09:51 PM
"So, maybe the type of rock does not matter at all, as long as it's safe and doesn't alter the water's chemistry."

Now your on to it
ArkD'Julie.

Post some pictures when your done.

DrNic
05-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Looks like you've got things well in hand. Overall Java ferns will grab just about any surface in a tank aside from the glass and PVC pipes unless you roughen the surface.

When you start with a plant you can even put it about a half inch into the gravel and the roots will grab it. Afterward just pull the plant up to the top and the plant will stay on the bottom of the tank and do really well. That's actually how i grow almost all my java ferns. It works great and the use of ferns without having to use a rock or driftwood to mount them on.

ArkD'Julie
05-09-2011, 02:01 AM
When you start with a plant you can even put it about a half inch into the gravel and the roots will grab it. Afterward just pull the plant up to the top and the plant will stay on the bottom of the tank and do really well. That's actually how i grow almost all my java ferns. It works great and the use of ferns without having to use a rock or driftwood to mount them on.

I've got one sort of in the gravel right now only because I haven't found a piece of wood to use. I might try your method you just mentioned with that one.

ArkD'Julie
05-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Post some pictures when your done.

I'll have to see if I can attach the little baby java fern. There's not much to it, it's really tiny, so I'll see if it'll work.

Here's the one I did several months ago, on a piece of wood about 7" long (that's Bob the bn modeling the java fern):

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/515/medium/Copy_of_IMGP1972.JPG

ArkD'Julie
05-09-2011, 04:31 AM
Here's the baby java fern on a pinkish quartz (?) rock:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/516/medium/IMGP2175_-_Copy.JPG

Here it is in Leroy's tank (safest one) to allow it to grow a bit:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/516/medium/Copy_of_IMGP2181.JPG

Leroy will be glad to get rid of the pot of hairgrass and the new, big rock and the floating plant bits! He's probably beginning to think his tank is the "dumping ground". Poor, poor Leroy!

Strider199
05-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Those are some very nice picture ArkD'Julie. Thanks for sharing.thumbs2:

ArkD'Julie
05-10-2011, 01:10 AM
Thanks, strider.