PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian (Red Claw Crab) Molting, Not sure if he's alive :(

shine17
05-06-2011, 07:35 PM
I've been a worried Red Clawed Crab parent, my little Sebastian has been molting since yesterday (5/4/11) and now I am noticing that there is not much movement with his molting.

What I'm saying is that I haven't seen any more progress than before. Could he be dead from stress? I hope not.

The temperature is correct, so I'm not sure what else to think.

Could anyone provide me with some insight.

Rue
05-06-2011, 07:38 PM
It can take awhile. Are you certain it's not his moult that you're looking at? They can look remarkably 'alive'.

shine17
05-06-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not his molt. I can see his new "body" coming out the back of his old shell.

And so far I haven't seen an extra crab around my tank.

Sadly I don't take my pets death lightly, and would be disappointed to loose him.

Thanks for your reply.

shine17
05-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Sadly my little Sebastian passed away yesterday morning. His brother Claw thought he'd eat him :(

Today I will take his remains to a beach and let him go. I feel its the right thing to do, than flush him or trash him.

:scry:

Rue
05-08-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm sorry he didn't make it. Once they get into trouble, there's nothing to do. You could try and help them get out of a stuck moult, but even if you could it successfully, it doesn't address the underlying problems...