PDA

View Full Version : Betta's Temperament

Nekohime
05-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I bet a lot of you have owned betta way longer than I have so what do you think? My betta is very active and curious, hasn't bitten me, and flares up only briefly at his reflection. Based on this, do you think he'd be aggressive toward new tankmates? Right now he's all alone in a 10 gallon and I'd like to add a few fish in the future but I'm afraid he'd freak and go all ninja on new additions. He seems laid-back but then again, he does seem to enjoy taunting the cat . . .

Brhino
05-05-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't think it's possible to say how a fish will react to other fish based on how they react to humans and cats. If you decide to add some fish, just be prepared to rehome them if it doesn't work.

tori.lock
05-05-2011, 08:13 PM
From my experience, pet store (Walmart, Petsmart, Petco, etc) bettas are more placid than a betta you might get from a breeder (or a lfs that gets them from a breeder). The bettas I have had from my local Petco have been mild enough to live with other fish, and the betta I got from my lfs that recently found a good breeder I would never consider putting anything in that tank with him. He even attacks and kills the pond snails and has reduced the population dramatically.

I suggest that before you buy more fish, see what your store's return policy is, or maybe buy a tank divider so you can 1/3 2/3 the tank, or get a cheap 5 gallon set-up to re-home the betta if things get messy. An important thing to remember is that bettas may one day be fine, and the other day not. I've never seen it happen, but it can and so it's always good to have the option there to move him. A trick I learned was before you add new stock to a betta tank, remove the betta and keep him in a little cup while you re-arrange the tank. Maybe take some decor out, add some new decor, or just move around what's already in there. Then add your new stock, let them hide or settle for a few minutes, then add your betta. He won't see it as his territory any longer, and when he re-establishes it as his territory, he's more apt to accept the other fish with him.

I'll end by saying that I LOVE my 10g betta community tank. It's such a joy to see the interactions, and having a small school makes the tank much more lively and colorful. It really helps to create the feel of a big tank, but without all the expense and space needed.

Xavier
05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
This is a tough one. I agree with the comments so far. Male bettas can live with many types of fish, but it is hard to judge how they will react. I had a 15gal tank with a betta, and a brief stint with a barb was too much. He wanted to kill the barb, despite there being ample space for both of them. He didn't like the snails either. That being said, it was a breeder betta.

I would be optimistic, but prepared for the worst. I would consider removing the betta from his tank for a day, re-arranging it to create two zones (like putting a large decoration in the middle, or maybe 2-3 plants) and putting the new fish in first. Then, the betta will feel re-homed, rather than something invading its territory... or maybe I'm over thinking things...

Cyberra
05-06-2011, 12:08 AM
My lfs gets their bettas from a breeder, but every one has a different personality. When they get too many new bettas to put them all in cups, they put male bettas in the tanks with tetras, platys, and occasionally guppies, and the bettas seem to pretty much ignore their tankmates. Maybe because the bettas were put into a tank that was already occupied? They never got the chance to decide the whole tank was theirs.

Nekohime
05-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Wow, thanks for all the advice. I've heard so many stories about ones that go nuts and I wasn't sure I wanted to upset the boat, such as it is. When the time comes, I think I will follow all of the advice (rearrange tank etc). The next dilemma will be what to add. For now, my betta is actually cycling the tank because I *sniff* don't know anyone with an aquarium. Don't worry, I have a good biolfilter and I test the water obsessively and change at least 25% twice a week.

Good advice to check the return policy, too. Since I'll need to quarantine the newcomers first, I hope the store has a pretty wide window.

~Col~
05-06-2011, 12:57 AM
My male betta was added to my tank quite some time after my RCS and black Khuli's. He tried to enter the khuli's cave, flared at them and then quickly retreated. Maybe because he was outnumbered and they dart here and there really quickly. He has snacked on the occassional RCS but so far not enough to worry the population.

I will however, acknowledge that one day I might come in and see a dead khuli or more dead shirmp. Apparently they can turn against their tank mates suddenly. I'm hoping not, but know not to dismiss it.

Johny
06-01-2011, 04:15 AM
My wife and I would really like to add a betta to our community tank, but it will probably be the last that we add.

rodm81
06-01-2011, 04:39 AM
I have a male betta in my 55 gal. He's actually the 1 at risk. My gourami's run the tank. My betta even gets chased by my male Mollie. He pretty much just lays around all over the tank. But he nevers bothers anyone else. it could be the shock he went through. While vacuuming my tank he swam up the tube. He was not himself for weeks. I still don't see him eat but he is beautiful.

Johny
06-01-2011, 04:45 AM
it could be the shock he went through. While vacuuming my tank he swam up the tube. He was not himself for weeks. I still don't see him eat but he is beautiful.

That sounds rather Traumatic! I am always afraid of doing that. My guppies are not afraid of me. If I ever have to put my hand in the tank for anything, they swim right up to it. The loaches on the other hand stay away from me.