PDA

View Full Version : Java ferns and driftwood.

fishn00b
05-04-2011, 02:52 AM
I read that java fern roots need to be exposed to the water for them to properly absorb nutrients, and that they are great at attaching themselves in cracks in driftwood if placed in them. 1) is that true about the roots? 2) how long do they take to attach? I have 2 small fern plants weighted down with rocks stuck in cracks in my wood for about 2 weeks now and have been wondering when I can remove the rocks. I don't want to do it too early and un-do any progress they might have made.

I dose them with flourish excel (every other day) and flourish comprehensive(weekly).

AmyLynn
05-04-2011, 02:59 AM
I actually used a couple of drops of superglue to place my lace java on my driftwood. Didn't have nearly as much luck with tying pieces on. My bolbitus, which grows the same as java fern, was just stuck in a couple of splits in the wood and has done a great job of anchoring itself and growing like mad.

rich311k
05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I generally tie mine on with cotton thread. The roots do need to be exposed to the water column. It can take a month or two for the plants to attach.

funkman262
05-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Just wanted to verify something. I believe the roots can be buried but it's the rhizome that can't be buried. The same goes for similar plants like anubias and african fern. For my anubias/ferns, I have some of them with the roots buried in the soil (rhizome exposed), some of them glued to rocks (with super glue gel containing cyanoacrylate), some simply stuck into the nooks-and-crannies of my driftwood and the rest just placed in the corner free floating away from the strong light.