PDA

View Full Version : Ducks in a koi pond?

DrNic
05-04-2011, 02:01 AM
I've always wondered, is it alright to have native ducks frequent a koi pond? Do they introduce disease or act as an attractor for larger birds that may eat the koi?

I'm hoping to start a koi pond either this summer or next and I thought it would be cool for my son if there were ducks around too.

skullduggery1
05-04-2011, 03:30 AM
As I have poultry of my own which includes ducks,I will let you in on some facts.Ducks are messy,pooping machines that will "FOWL" the water.Also,when congregating around the water source predators such as raccoons,and any other opportunistic varmit,will try night time raids on sleeping birds.Although koi are easier prey,unless you have a acre or half pond.If you are interested in duck ,then there are flight less varieties and some attractive dwarf species.Call ducks,rouens,cayugas,and black indies are nice.wood ducks and mandarins can also be purchased,but are quite pricey.Just some suggestions,as tame ones are easier to "round" up.

Brhino
05-04-2011, 03:32 AM
if you have a pond, how do you even avoid ducks? I have a bird bath the size of a large dinner plate in my backyard and I still get ducks trying it out every now and then.

skullduggery1
05-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Owl dummies,or a australian cattle dog.Friendly fire(fireworks).If that does not work,then use a shotgun.....MMMMM duck.

Furface
05-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Ducks are a waaay bad idea for a pond, they will mess it up big time. A pond is hard enough to keep running smooth with a few fish, trying to keep it relatively clean.
Occasionally wild ducks will try mine out, a few good yells with arm waving convince them that being elsewhere is a good idea. Definitly nix the shotgun, that would be a real quick way to drain the pond accidentally.