PDA

View Full Version : "Freshwater" eel

speakerpedal
05-03-2011, 02:56 AM
So I recently picked up a "freshwater" moray eel, but as we all know these bad boys are brackish water dwellers (thus why I'm here!). Any who, has anyone kept one of these before? Any tips or points regarding care and behavior of these interesting things? He's currently in my 20 gal as it's still quite small, but I plan on swiping it out to a 50 as it gets bigger. (probably much sooner as I'm pretty damn excited) Right now, I've got the water at about 1.010 ppm at around 26C. The PH is about 8.0. I've got a bunch of plants and driftwood for hiding. Is there anything else someone might recommend in terms of accommodating him or and personal experiences with keeping these guys? Also, when I move him, are there any solid recommendations for tank-mates? Other than Mollies and Plattys, as I am not a big fan of them.

best,
Matt

Spidyman
05-03-2011, 03:04 AM
It will mostlikely need more than a 50 they get pretty big and they will eat most tank mates. My brother when we where inexperienced bought one had had it with African cichlid and it would rip their heads of and leave the body.

speakerpedal
05-03-2011, 03:08 AM
It will mostlikely need more than a 50 they get pretty big and they will eat most tank mates. My brother when we where inexperienced bought one had had it with African cichlid and it would rip their heads of and leave the body.

How long did you and your brother have yours? Some people mentioned tankmates are fine as long as they can't fit into his mouth whole.

skullduggery1
05-03-2011, 04:36 AM
Well,both commonly available freshwater morays are opportunistic feeders.the main diet in the wild are crustaceans and mollusks,but it will eat anything small enough to swallow down.There is the indian mud moray,and one from papua new guinea that have been collected for the aquarium trade.I would go with deep bodied fish for tankmates,such as archers,scats,green chromides,or some larger gobies and grunters.

speakerpedal
05-03-2011, 05:12 AM
Well,both commonly available freshwater morays are opportunistic feeders.the main diet in the wild are crustaceans and mollusks,but it will eat anything small enough to swallow down.There is the indian mud moray,and one from papua new guinea that have been collected for the aquarium trade.I would go with deep bodied fish for tankmates,such as archers,scats,green chromides,or some larger gobies and grunters.

Would mono's work well? The seem a bit too vertical for an eel to take a bite. The only thing is I hear some say that you can keep them in brackish all their life while others have mentioned that they need full marine? Is this true for all from the genus or just a select few?

smaug
05-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Get a 75 gal and keep scat with him. 1.010 is a bit high for brack,1.005 is brack water. I assume you are using true marine seasalt?

speakerpedal
05-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Get a 75 gal and keep scat with him. 1.010 is a bit high for brack,1.005 is brack water. I assume you are using true marine seasalt?

Sounds cool. Yeah I am, it's so agitating when I ask certain dealers for salt for my eel and they hand me that useless stuff :ripper: . Either way, thanks for the advice on the tank size. Any recommendations for a filter to deal with a tank that size? I doubt my current HOB could handle a tank of that magnitude, plus is there a filter better suited for brackish? That way I can buy all my stuff in one go! Thanks for the advice, this is gonna be exciting!

Best,
Matt

smaug
05-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Any good canister such as a rena xp3 or 4 would be a good choice.

speakerpedal
05-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Any good canister such as a rena xp3 or 4 would be a good choice.

sounds good, thanks! thumbs2:

Spidyman
05-04-2011, 04:11 AM
He had it for about 9 months until he relocated it to an Oscar tank and is died.