PDA

View Full Version : Lace fern (?) looks like wisteria

ArkD'Julie
05-01-2011, 11:30 AM
I'll post a photo probably tomorrow, but today I bought a plant that, according to an identification poster the shop had, appeared to be a "lace fern". It looks a lot like wisteria, but with narrower leaves. I tried to do a search for lace fern but kept coming up with java lace fern... which my plant looks nothing like.

Just wondering if any of you had "lace fern", which looks similar to wisteria?

DrNic
05-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Sounds like watersprite, but a photo will tell for sure.

ArkD'Julie
05-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Here's a photo... I'm starting to think it iswisteria. It doesn't look like the wisteria I already have, but now that I think about it... my wisteria's leaves seem to have gotten broader since I first got it about 5 months ago.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/516/medium/IMGP2082_-_Copy.JPG

Well, if it is wisteria, that's ok. I wouldn't mind having more of it.

smaug
05-02-2011, 12:49 AM
Wisteria has leaves that change shape according to the light they get. More light more pinnate the leaves become. Its been awhile since I have kept either but your plant looks more like water sprite to me.

DrNic
05-02-2011, 03:05 AM
It's still hard to tell but that does look like wisteria. Watersprite has much thinner leaves. There are multiple types of wisteria with different leaf structures, and this plant also looks like it might have been grown under weak light or only partially submerged which can cause the leaves to be smaller. I would say just put it in the tank and keep an eye on it over the next few months and see what happens.

ArkD'Julie
05-02-2011, 04:21 AM
Thanks, Dr Nic and smaug, for the replies. Whatever it is, I got it because I liked it and that's what matters. :) So now I hope it's happy in the tanks!

Lady Hobbs
05-02-2011, 04:49 AM
This is lace java. Not sure what you have.

http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/lacewood.jpg

ArkD'Julie
05-02-2011, 04:59 AM
This is lace java. Not sure what you have.

http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/lacewood.jpg

Hmm, surely not what I've got. For now, I've just put some of the stems of the unidentified plant to float in 2 of my tanks, along with some of what I believe is pennywort. Still have a little in a bucket temporarily. In my molly's tank I don't want to block a lot of light, but molly fry might be moving in in a few weeks, so would floating stems of the above listed plants be more beneficial than planting them.... or a bit of each? I have a little pot of hairgrass to add too, but will do this at the end of the week when I do a water change.

smaug
05-02-2011, 09:50 AM
It's still hard to tell but that does look like wisteria. Watersprite has much thinner leaves. There are multiple types of wisteria with different leaf structures, and this plant also looks like it might have been grown under weak light or only partially submerged which can cause the leaves to be smaller. I would say just put it in the tank and keep an eye on it over the next few months and see what happens.
You got that backward about the light. Stronger light will make the leaves finer and more sharply pointed. The other way around makes wide smoother leaves.