PDA

View Full Version : Anubias and my tank's temperature ...

mermaidwannabe
05-01-2011, 03:05 AM
I am thinking of growing a small Anubias in my 20-gallon-high coldwater tank. I know it has to be tied to a rock or fake driftwood, and not buried in the substrate. I also know it will tolerate my lighting conditions and needs no extra nutrients beyond what my tank naturally provides. My only concern is that my research has informed me that the lowest end of the ideal temperature for Anubias is 22C, or 72F. My water's temperature stays stable between 65F and 68F. Will the anubia tolerate a temperature that low?

I also know that my water hardness and pH are okay for Anubias, so the temperature is the only potential problem area I see.

This is a low maintenance live plant that I really like the looks of.

-- mermaidwannabe

smaug
05-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Get one or two and find out. I have suspision that the already slow growth rate will be seriously weakened.

DrNic
05-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I have a bunch of anubias attached to a faux-rock in the center of my coldwater tank and it grows just fine. The tank typically has an ambient temp of about 70*F. I don't expect that you'd see problems unless the temp drops below 60*F but like Smaug said, it's worth trying one or two out.

rich311k
05-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I agree only one way to find out for sure.