PDA

View Full Version : Plants increasing # of fish?

Abbeys_Mom
04-28-2011, 07:05 PM
If you completely plant a 10g, can you increase the # of fish to more then you would normally stock?

I currently have
4 sparkling gouramis
5 Neon tetras
3 Dwarf pencilfish
1 oto

2 dojo loach fry
50 or so firemouth fry

The last two are temporary.

I was thinking of adding 6 Kuhlis or 6 dwarf cories.

The tank is heavily planted with Java moss, Java fern, water sprite, cabomba and anubias.

smaug
04-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Slightly so,mostly for the ability of the plants to help remove toxins. Other factors such as overall room for the fish,especially for fish that would require open swimming areas come into play. With the exception of the las to on the list I would say you are stocked heavily enough.the exception could be the addition of a few more oto.

SunSchein89
04-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Yeah, at some point the plants are just taking up space and limiting your stocking options that way. I'd imagine there would be a nice bell curve if someone could graph number of fish to number of plants. That would be using very general numbers and taking out a lot of variables, of course, but I'm sure you get the picture.

smaug
04-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Slightly so,mostly for the ability of the plants to help remove toxins. Other factors such as overall room for the fish,especially for fish that would require open swimming areas come into play. With the exception of the las to on the list I would say you are stocked heavily enough.the exception could be the addition of a few more oto.