PDA

View Full Version : shrimps eating moss

superbsite
04-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Ive read that the Amano shrimps dont usually eat moss but they eat the algae of it or the tender shoots from the fronds.
But they have not only eaten but stripped my Java Moss and Willow Moss from the driftwoods.
Is there anyway to prevent this because Moss is too expensive to be fed as food to them
Should I feed them algae flakes seperately ?
What about cucumber ? Will this rot and pollute my water ?
Thanks

dragoonwoman
04-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Yes to the algae wafers and veggies! Shrimp need LOTS of vegetable matter and as you found out, will eat moss tips and any other tender growth if they can't find enough algae or other food.

I give mine a couple sinking veggie pellets or a pinch of algae-based flake food every evening. The shrimp are all over the food within a minute (LITERALLY) and there usually isn't anything left the next morning.

If you want to put fresh veggies in the tank - blanch them first! That means, dip them into boiling water for 15 - 30 seconds to very slightly cook them. You can also microwave them for about the same time and get the same results. Let them cool before adding to the tank, and remove them after a few hours so they don't pollute.

Cucumber, spinach (high in calcium for their shells), lettuce, broccoli, even asparagus (I use the tough ends that are usually tossed but split them open before adding to the tank). I think there are a few threads here that list other options. Frozen veggies work as well as fresh - thaw them out first.

Your shrimp will thank you and so will the plants!

superbsite
04-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Thankyou Dragoon Woman. That was helpful.
Cheers

Lady Hobbs
04-29-2011, 06:36 PM
You don't leave it long enough to rot. One day is plenty for veggies. Pellets they will eat until gone.

Strider199
04-29-2011, 11:44 PM
It does amaze me how quickly the RCS find the pellets, flakes, or waffers I put into the tank. One minute the front of the tank shows maybe 5 shrimp and a few minutes later there are over 50 of them grazing like little miners.