PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

rpmdj1
04-27-2011, 05:21 AM
Hey all
I have 2 tanks that have been up for about a month a 20 tall hex and a 30 standard So I have never had live plants and I would like to try so when is a good time to start?
thanks

funkman262
04-27-2011, 05:50 AM
lol a good time to start is whenever you want to. I'm not quite understanding your question. If you would like to start a planted tank, go ahead on do it. Are there any constraints that are bothering you that you didn't mention? If not, I say do some research to know what to expect, figure out how involved you want to get with it, then set up the tank and add plants. Basically, the more intense the lights, the more options you have for plants but you also may need to dose co2, add ferts and even have a nutrient-rich substrate. You also may have more battles with algae than if you did a low-light low-tech system.

Cliff
04-27-2011, 12:55 PM
+1 to the above

You can take having a planted tank in many different directions based on what you want

Have you read through the stickys in the plant section yet ?

There's a lot of great info there that will help you

rpmdj1
04-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks all for the replies

Rue
04-27-2011, 05:10 PM
I'll add that you have 2 basic approaches:

1. A tank with plants in it. That's what I have. I have my plants in clay pots, hidden behind decor/driftwood. They are all low light plants. They are doing very well. The fish are the priorty.

2. A planted tank. You can go whole-hog. A substrate heater, special growth media, fertilizers, special lighting, CO2, etc. In this instance the plants are the focus of the tank, less so the fish.

...or find yourself a happy spot in between.

funkman262
04-27-2011, 05:15 PM
You can start given some details on what kind of tank you'd like to set up and we'd be glad to push you in the right direction on necessary equipment and stuff. I would recommend to start out with the 30g for now since the 20g hex is a lot less user friendly (horrible dimensions for a newbie to plant). The 30g on the other hand would be great for someone like you. It's not too tall and there are plenty of inexpensive 3' fixtures that would suit your tank well. When you get some experience with that tank and you don't mind the little bit of extra maintenance involved with planted tanks then you can try to work with your hex tank.