PDA

View Full Version : Snails with Malawi Cichlids

TehTANK
07-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Is it at all possible to put snails in a Malawi Cichlid tank and not have them eaten or die????

Fishguy2727
07-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Not really. I think there was another thread about this a few months ago.

TehTANK
07-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Probably posted by me. I am wanting to get some little critters though. How about shrimp? Do they go with Malawi Cichlids?

Fishguy2727
07-19-2007, 10:26 PM
No. The only invert I know of that goes with Malawi cichlids is the Malawi crab, if you can find one.

Other than cichlids the only thing ideal for a Malawi tank is Synodontis spp., and not all of them.

niqolas619
07-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't know how kosher it is to do this, but I used to keep an eel with my mbunas about a year ago. I ended up getting rid of him because he was lame and would just hide all the time. The cichlids never bothered him, and he ate really well, so I just assumed that this was normal activity for the eel. It wasn't a very long test, though - I got rid of him after only having him for about 2 or 3 months. I tried to look up the name of it on the web just now for you, but can't seem to find anything that looks exactly like it. From what I did find, it seems that they require similar water parameters as africans.