PDA

View Full Version : New pond

friz
04-26-2011, 02:49 AM
Dug up a rose bush and put in a pond. Plan to use it for a few goldfish and a common pleco.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f184/frizz1/IMG_1750.jpg

smaug
04-26-2011, 10:03 AM
5 rosy red minnows and nothing else would be the wiser choice. That's a cute liittle water feature but don't fool yourself into thinking you can keep much in it.

friz
04-26-2011, 01:54 PM
5 rosy red minnows and nothing else would be the wiser choice. That's a cute liittle water feature but don't fool yourself into thinking you can keep much in it.

Wow! It measures out at about 80 gallons. I thought I was OK with a couple goldfish and a pleco. Do ponds have different bioloading requirements the aquariums?

Rue
04-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I would have guessed less than 80 g too. We had one that was about 40g and it looked bigger than yours.

Did you want to keep fish in it long-term or short-term?

Goldfish are a better option for a larger, permanent long-term pond. Rosies might be better for a smaller seasonal pond. They're easier to look after when you bring them in for the winter.

btw...what kind of a filter do you have?

friz
04-26-2011, 03:17 PM
I would have guessed less than 80 g too. We had one that was about 40g and it looked bigger than yours.

Did you want to keep fish in it long-term or short-term?

Goldfish are a better option for a larger, permanent long-term pond. Rosies might be better for a smaller seasonal pond. They're easier to look after when you bring them in for the winter.

btw...what kind of a filter do you have?

It's about 20 inches deep. I agree it doesn't look it in the pictures. The filter is just a block of foam filter medium around the pump. The pump just sprays into the back of the pond under the rock to give a little agitation.

Rue
04-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Well...I think you can try with a very light bioload...make sure you keep a record of what you're doing and keep with water tests, etc., so you know what's happening with the water quality.

smaug
04-26-2011, 04:09 PM
I apoligize then if its 80 gal. It looks more like 10! If it is indeed 80 gal then you could have 2 to 3 fancy goldfish in there. The plec gives me pause though. I assume you will have him back in a heated aquarium when the water temp gets near the low 70s? What are the dimensions of it?

friz
04-26-2011, 04:22 PM
I apoligize then if its 80 gal. It looks more like 10! If it is indeed 80 gal then you could have 2 to 3 fancy goldfish in there. The plec gives me pause though. I assume you will have him back in a heated aquarium when the water temp gets near the low 70s? What are the dimensions of it?

30X40X20

The rocks are large in scale and the Blue Angel Hasta in the back has a really big leaf. I think this adds to the illusion. I plan to have a large basin in a heated garage to winter them over. I don't think I am deep enough to pull it off outside.

smaug
04-26-2011, 04:33 PM
By my calculations that's about 65 gal. To answer your earlier question about the rules differing for ponds vs tanks,yes they do. Ponds have the downside of losing water very rapidly to evap and gaining it even quicker through rainfall. Setting close to the house like that makes it even dodgier due to contaminates from the house itself. Throw in the factor of heat and sun and you have an algae broth waiting to happen (the plec won't stop that) .
Next you have nothing that is truly acting as a filter as a sponge over a pump is only helping a bit with bio filtering. If you do 50% water changes at least once a week,you may have luck with just 2 to 3 fancy goldfish. If you add a decent canister filter or filter bed pond filter you could up that to 4 or 5. Keep the plec out of it,it simply isn't a good idea.