PDA

View Full Version : fresh water to brackish for gsp

clainbro2
04-25-2011, 05:09 AM
Okay so I have a 2 inch baby green spotted puffer that I want to start introducing to slightly brackish water. and the guy at the tropical fish store is telling me, to make it brackish I just buy two gallons of his "salt water" for every 10 gallonss. Now is there any products that I could trust better, I ask this Because I read That some stuff like aquarium salt (I think) people say are just nothing but table salt and that you need something different.

I don't know what he's putting in his water and I would rather buy a trusted product.

So what would that be?

And is that it? use the product and BAM u get brackish?

clainbro2
04-26-2011, 01:59 AM
I have a 2 inch green spotted puffer industry I want to start to introduce it into brackish water but how does that work when I do a water change, and is there any extra maintenance for brackish

Cliff
04-26-2011, 02:13 AM
From what I've read, you need to keep a salinity of 1.003-.1005 for puffers. I would start off with very low salinity, less than 0.25 and slowly increase over a few weeks until you reach the correct salinity

The above is onlt based on what I have read tho, I have never done this before nor have I had pufers

Based on my SW wxperiance I can also suggest to always mix the salt in water before adding it in the tank (never mix salt inside the tank). When you do a water change, replace with water that has the same salinity.

I would also suggest using a refactormeter to test your salinity.

clainbro2
04-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Does a hydrometer work? What's the difference? And I did some research and they all say for the juveniles its 1.005-1.008 some people keep there (adult) puffer in full marine water. And thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

Cliff
04-26-2011, 02:25 AM
The below sticky explains the difference between the two better than I can

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=76398

The rest of this tread is really only about SW tho.

Spidyman
04-26-2011, 01:46 PM
From what I've read do it very slowly and a hydrometer will work but you will need to find one that goes really low and is very sesistive to small amount cause most start at 1.015(atleast the once I saw. But there where a few that started lower so you will have to find one that works at low salinity.

Spidyman
04-26-2011, 02:24 PM
First I think you need to keep on thread for this subject. Read the rules too
But that being said I would not buy his salt water but if you want premixed water there at big buckets of it that is made buy companies that petsmart carries. I would just buy salt and mix it yourself way cheaper.

clainbro2
04-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Well what salt should I buy? Do you know any brands that are good?

clainbro2
04-26-2011, 11:26 PM
From what I've read do it very slowly and a hydrometer will work but you will need to find one that goes really low and is very sesistive to small amount cause most start at 1.015(atleast the once I saw. But there where a few that started lower so you will have to find one that works at low salinity. haha the one I have starts at 1.022!

Cliff
04-26-2011, 11:34 PM
As you had two threads on the same topic, I merged them into one

smaug
04-26-2011, 11:55 PM
When I kept brack fish I had the water at 1.005 which I checked using a cheap hydrometer. I kept it for 2 yrs and to be honest only checked the salinity twice with that cheap tool. Upon switching this tank to full salt I bought a refractometer and checked what the salt level was at brack level. It was right on 1.005 after all that time. I did my water changes with 2/3rds cup oceanic marine salt per 5 gal of fresh. Keep in mind that brack fish are the kings of crappy water conditions in the wild,there environment changes quickly and often with floods and heavy rains. I do not advocate poor water keeping practices so I do recomend spending the 50 bucks and buy a refractometer. Also understand that puffers absolutly have to have shelled animals such as snails in there diet several times a week to keep there beak worn donw or they will get lock jaw from there beak growing shut.what other fish will you keep with it,and in what size tank?

clainbro2
04-27-2011, 01:08 AM
I know!! Haha I Feed it one snail per day and mix up his diet with crayfish, clams and stuff like that. Right now he's in a 20gallon tank I'm going to move him into a 55 As soon as it hits 3 1/2inches long. And I think I might keep him lonely forever :( I don't want any heat between fish and its a lot of work as it is. Double the bioload double the food. I mean Do you think it would be alright to have two puffer in a 55gallon? I'm just a little scared.
You know..

smaug
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
I only kept the one puffer,I don't know if they can be kept long term in groups or not. In a 55 gal you may have issues keeping the nitrifying bacteria alive with just one small fish. I did keep my fig8 with a knight goby and several bumblebee goby without anybody getting bit.

clainbro2
04-27-2011, 03:05 PM
I'll fin him a friend