PDA

View Full Version : Technical Light Question

Keratella
04-24-2011, 06:02 PM
I purchased a T18 24" 18 watt Ocean Sun 10,000k to replace the light that came with my hood. The original light was a T8 24" 20 watt florescent.

I installed the new bulb and it won't fully come on. It flickers like it's trying but never turns over, I've only left it flickering for 5 minutes at a time.

I put the old bulb back in to make sure there is nothing wrong with the ballast and it still works.

The starter states it's for "4. 6. 8. 14. 20w" so it doesn't list 18w. Thinking that was the issue I searched the net for an 18w starter and couldn't find any.

The only other difference is that the original bulb is stamped with F18T8 and the new bulb F17T8. This isn't listed on the outside packaging anywhere and the fact that it fits tells me that it should work.

I'm going to end up returning the bulb, but need to know if the bulb is faulty, if I need a different starter or if it is incompatible for any reason.

If anyone knows the answer I will be very grateful. Again searching the net has not led me to a definitive answer.

Keratella
04-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I worked it out ... turned out the bulb was bad.