PDA

View Full Version : Over Fertilizing

halfcent
04-24-2011, 09:54 AM
I have a newly planted tank and I am using 'Flourish Excel' as a CO2 treatment. I am also using 'API Leaf Zone' as a liquid fertilizer. I think I misread the instructions on the fertilizer and doubled up on the amount, I now have a sudden brown type algae bloom on the rocks and some of the plant leaves. Could this be caused by the overdose and if so, is there a way to stop the growth and hopefully reverse it.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

chrisfraser05
04-24-2011, 11:03 AM
it sounds like diatoms. This is a normal stage for any tank regardless of ferts.

Just leave the daitoms alone tbh and it will dissapear slowly.

I wouldn't go doing anything drastic to clear the ferts either, just slow the amount you dose and keep doing water changes as normal, the amount in the water will drop with each water change to the correct level after a few weeks.

Cermet
04-24-2011, 11:56 AM
If you over dosed with ferts, you need to do a 50% water change (WC). You do not want high levels of those chemicals if you have fish because that stuff at higher levels is not good for fish.:11:

chrisfraser05
04-24-2011, 01:40 PM
if you'd overdosed double with EI I'd join cermet and advise a big waterchange but the premade/shop bought stuff is always conservative anyway, alot of guys on the planted tank forums advise 2-3 times the dosage recommended with these products.

halfcent
04-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Thank you both for your replies. I do not think that I overdosed so much as to bother the fish, they seem very happy and my Cory's spent all day yesterday spawning leaving eggs all over the glass. Of course the Angel fish enjoyed them.
I think I will leave it alone for a week or two and see if it settles down. I did read up on diatoms and that appears to be what it is.
Thanks again.

halfcent
04-24-2011, 01:45 PM
While on the subject, are you familiar with Flourish Excel as a carbon additive and are there good results using it?

chrisfraser05
04-24-2011, 01:55 PM
I use flourish excel in my small kitchen tank but use pressurised in my main.

its good stuff, noticed alot of extra growth using it.

It also has some sort of algaecide in it, adding a little to the main tank weekly seems to help to keep it at bay :)

I dose all my tanks with EI ferts, prob about 4-5 times the strength of shop bought for both nitrate and phosphates!

halfcent
04-24-2011, 02:36 PM
I am going to attempt to show you some of my brown growth that has appeared on the slate in the last two days.

chrisfraser05
04-24-2011, 02:56 PM
yea thats just diatoms.... no need to worry :)

halfcent
04-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks so much for your patience with me, you have put my mind at ease.
Thanks again.