PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp must be kinda smart

Lady Hobbs
04-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I drop an algae pellet in the tank each morning and within ONE minute must have 20 shrimp on each pellet. It's like they are sitting there waiting for it. My corys do the same thing....sit in the same spot each morning knowing a pellet will come floating down to them and away they go.

Abbeys_Mom
04-23-2011, 03:24 PM
My fry always catch on pretty quick. I always feed at the same time of day and in the same corner of the tank. Most of the day, the fry will just hang out on that side of the tank waiting. I guess food is the highlight of their day and they have nothing else to do, lol.

Lady Hobbs
04-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Kinda like me! LOL

mermaidwannabe
04-23-2011, 03:43 PM
For fry, food is survival. Fish catch on really fast as to where and when the food becomes available. Those that don't, don't last. They will be out-competed by those alert ones that are waiting in the right place at the right time.

When I pick up any of their several food containers, my fish know right away what's coming and gather in the feeding spot. They've learned to recognize the little cannisters and packages, and probably even know what kind of food each one contains.

Fish aren't dumb. They don't survive if they are!

They're so cute when pigging out. No matter how reliable the food availability is, they always act like they haven't eaten in months! :hmm3grin2orange:

-- mermaidwannabe

Spidyman
04-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Ya my 55 gallon tank is built into the wall between our storage room and den. When ever I open the door to go into the storage room from the den all my fish including the ghost shrimp swim/run over to the side I feed on.

ArkD'Julie
04-25-2011, 10:51 AM
They're so cute when pigging out. No matter how reliable the food availability is, they always act like they haven't eaten in months! :hmm3grin2orange:

-- mermaidwannabe

I was thinking the same sort of thing a couple days ago feeding my goldfish. I was giggling to myself when I imagined what they were saying to each other.... "oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh :19: it's those yummy pellets oh my gosh oh my gosh...."

nmb7895
04-25-2011, 12:09 PM
It's fun watching the shrimp compete with the larger group of fish for pellets. I've seen a shrimp stare down and practically fight a cory for the wafer, while the kuhli loach tries to nudge his way in and wraps his body around the food so nobody else can get it.

It's like they don't know there's another bottom feeder pellet right next to them or something...

Furface
04-26-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't think this ability is necessarily intelligence, rather its a biological ability to sense the presence of food, they pick up on tiny soluble chemical trails in the water given off by the food. Somewhat akin to what we do when following the scent of a fresh baked apple pie.
This actually makes it all the more amazing, to realize such abilities exist. The natural world is full of wonder!

ZoSoSwiM
04-26-2011, 01:51 PM
I drop all of my sinking food in the same spot. I usually feed my fish at 7pm each night and around 6pm or so they start gathering in that area. Kinda cute they know food comes there!

Lady Hobbs
04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
I don't think this ability is necessarily intelligence, rather its a biological ability to sense the presence of food, they pick up on tiny soluble chemical trails in the water given off by the food. Somewhat akin to what we do when following the scent of a fresh baked apple pie.
This actually makes it all the more amazing, to realize such abilities exist. The natural world is full of wonder!

Agree! It's not like cows are the smartest animals in the world but they do know exactly which milking stall they need to go to, what time is breakfast and what time to head to the barn.