PDA

View Full Version : Frizzy java fern roots

ArkD'Julie
04-23-2011, 06:35 AM
I have a java fern that I attached to some wood with fishing line.... oh, about 4 months ago. The plant is doing really great, and is about twice the size of the other little one I got at the same time.... the other java fern I have the roots are covered lightly in the gravel (just haven't taken the time to attach 2nd one to wood).

My question is... the roots are growing very well, and are sort of "frizzy" and not growing around the wood too much. Do I need to keep retying the growing roots around the wood until they attach themselves, or is it fine the way it is and will do it eventually on it's own? (the plant seems very stable when it has been necessary to take it and the piece of wood out of the tank).

Here's a photo of the fern I'm talking about:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/515/medium/Copy_of_IMGP1972.JPG

Lady Hobbs
04-23-2011, 01:19 PM
They get their nutrients thru those roots so leave them as they are. Looks nice.

My java always gets black spots! Not sure what I do wrong.

DrNic
04-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Those roots look exactly like they should. Once attached the plant will send out runner roots to continue to look for nutrients and other things to hold on to. Eventually you'll probably find that the roots will also reach down into the gravel and stick to that as well.

Regarding black spots on java ferns. I think that has to do with the 'age' of the plants. Ferns are some of my favorite plants but older plants do tend to get black spots a lot. By 'old' I mean 'genetically old' where you may split a plant in half and replant it over and over again. Over time doing this can take it's toll on the plant. I always try to save the little plants that grow off the bottom of the leaves and start from scratch which typically results in a greener and better looking plant although they can take time to get big again.

ArkD'Julie
04-24-2011, 01:25 AM
Thanks, Lady Hobbs. And the back side of the plant (not shown in photo) has about 2 to 3 times the amount of those roots sticking out as the front does. Many of those root tips are beginning to search down into the gravel.

I don't mind the "frizzy" roots, as I think it looks a bit rough and very natural, and some of my fish like tugging at the roots and nibbling stuff from them. So, as long as the plant is happy, and my fish like it.... I won't fix it. :)

And I really wish the other piece of wood I have that's "processing" would be done in releasing those tannins! I'm about ready to ditch it and go find some other stuff. I've got another java fern to attach... it was bought the same time as the one with the frizzy roots and was the same size... now the frizzy-rooted one is about twice the size as the other.