PDA

View Full Version : Hello :) im a newbie..sort of

mrslolo83
04-23-2011, 01:29 AM
Hello, im new to keeping fish. ive only had bettas in the past. about 7 months ago i was given a 33 gallon aquarium from my brother and sister in law. they gave me 6 tiger barbs along with it and unfortunately over the last 7 months one of them has picked off each of them, one by one. i couldnt bare to flush a live fish and commit fish murder lol so i bought a 1 gallon tank and gave him to my sister and my nephew named him "oscar". hes now happy and living by himself. i cleaned and cycled my tank and waited a week to get fish. lastnight we went to petsmart and i asked for 3 red wag platies, i wanted 2 females and 1 male, but when i got home i realized she gave me 2 males and 1 female. so today we stopped at another petsmart for an algae eater and i ended up buying 3 more female red wag platies (so there would be 2 for each male lol) and i also got 3 black mollies, 2 female and one male, and a chinese algae eater (unknown gender). i think one of the red wag platies i got today are pregnant and one of the black molly females is too, they both have big bellies. i bought some live plant bulbs from walmart and dropped those in the tank after i got done cleaning it a week ago, they are sprouting up really good. i would love to either get some java fern or hornwart live plants but im nervous about live plants, although these bulb plants are growing already after a week lol.

does anyone have any advice for a newbie? if the red wag and black molly are pregnant i will buy a 10 gallon starter kit for the babies to be born in and then i will give some to my mom, who has an empty 55 gallon tank. how many red wag platies and black mollies can fit in my 33 gallon tank? i have 10 and wasnt planning on getting that many but i wanted to keep the tank peaceful, and after doing a ton of research read that it should be 2 females for every male. so thats what i got :) 4 female red wag platies, 2 males, 2 female black mollies, and 1 male (sailfin?) molly.

one more question about the live plants, i was going to buy one at a time from petsmart but i could see they had a snail problem so i didnt buy any and wont buy any from petsmart, is there a place i can get snail free live plants online?

Cliff
04-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Welcome to the forum

I would suggest posting your questoin in the correct sections of the forum

This section is for new members to introduce themselves

rich311k
04-23-2011, 01:54 AM
Welcome to AC! Post up your questions in the right sections and we shall do what we can to help you out.

DylanisHawttt
04-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Welcome to the forum :22:

fishn00b
04-23-2011, 03:12 AM
WELCOME :shappy: post your questions in the right places and they will be answered :D

mrslolo83
04-23-2011, 03:17 AM
sorry guys i didnt realize there was a questions forum, first time on the site, still getting familar hehe

Cyberra
04-23-2011, 03:20 AM
^_^ Welcome to the community

TazManiac
04-23-2011, 06:19 AM
sorry guys i didnt realize there was a questions forum, first time on the site, still getting familar hehe
Don't worry about it. You were looking for the Livebearer forum which is here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

TazManiac
04-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Oh and welcome to the AC.

gadget228
04-23-2011, 09:40 AM
:welcomewave: to the AC... :22:

Northernguy
04-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the fabulous AC!:22:

Cermet
04-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Welcome :22: