PDA

View Full Version : Plant for 10 gallon

bmxrcer190
04-22-2011, 07:52 PM
I am looking for plants for my 10 gallon tank but I am looking for easy care plants that don't require co2. I have some neon tetras and a ghost shrimp in the tank and I plan on adding some drift wood when I can find the right sizes. I also have aquarium gravel. I understand that plant substrate would work the best and a co2 system will help the plant flourish better but I am trying to see if there are any plants that would work at this point until I get everything else I need some point down the road. Also, what substrate could someone recommend for plants along with a new filter since I am sure the filter that came with the tank is not a decent one. I've read about some of the easier plants in the stickie and everything but I was wondering if there were any plants that would work in gravel.

If I change the substrate and filter, would I be able to get a package like this http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=FAP/PROD/PAP/5GSP and then just use seachem flourish excel instead of a co2 system. I know the excel isn't the same thing as co2 but will it allow the plants to grow and survive?

fishn00b
04-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Good news! you can totally do it. I have a planted 10g with no CO2 and my plants do very well. I actually had some success growing plants from the bulbs they sell in major pet stores like petsmart, they also sell them at walmart. It's total hit or miss though, some sprout, some dont. One of the petsmart locations near me sells live plants submerged in a planted tank and thats the best way to buy them. Be careful of the plastic tubes with gel at the bottom sold dry as most are not true aquatic plants and will simply rot, not grow, in your tank. I have an onion plant, anubias nana, apogens, moneywort, moss ball, and some random sword plant. I use fine sand for substrate with root tabs, give them around 8 - 10 hours of light a day (nothing special needed in terms of bulbs for only 10g of water).

Here's a good list of aquatic plants to check out http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

bmxrcer190
04-22-2011, 10:47 PM
If I put a couple of plants in my tank will I still need to use my aerator and at what point would I not need to use it anymore? I wouldn't imagine one or two plants would give off enough oxygen for the fish that are in the tank.

Lady Hobbs
04-22-2011, 10:59 PM
You will always need your filter.

Since a 10 is so small, maybe some petite anubius just tied to the wood may be enough. I also have a 10 with nothing in it but moss because I also can't think of anything for it.

rich311k
04-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Anubias, crypts, mosses will all do well. I have a ten full of crypts and Christmas Moss, I like the way it looks.

bmxrcer190
04-23-2011, 12:49 AM
I know I will always need a filter. I was talking about my air pump. At about how many plants would I have to put in the tank and not use the air pump since I heard that an air pump causes the tank to lose co2?

rich311k
04-23-2011, 01:53 AM
You do not need the pump. In a non injected tank the air pump would actually raise CO2 levels as it would allow more gas to dissolve in the tank. Low light plants with low - medium light will do well without CO2.

fishn00b
04-23-2011, 02:31 AM
You do not need the pump. In a non injected tank the air pump would actually raise CO2 levels as it would allow more gas to dissolve in the tank. Low light plants with low - medium light will do well without CO2.

Agreed. Like I said, I have a similar setup with several different plants and no air pump.

Not to thread jack but is an air pump ever really necessary? Always viewed it as an accessory.