PDA

View Full Version : Substrate

pillairp
04-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Hi,

Need your help in selecting the best substrate for a planted fish tank...

someone suggest river....

Strider199
04-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I have seachems Flourite in half of my 55 gallon which really holds the stem plants well and they seem to grow well in it.

In a small 10 gallon tank I have there is Fluval Stratum for my shrimp. That stuff seems to be doing really well with my stem plants but it's early yet and really $$$$$$!!!

Aquarium gravel is still my main stay becuse it's cheap to buy and for the most part does the job with some fert tabs.

DrNic
04-22-2011, 09:42 PM
I say just go with whatever you like the look of. There are some plant specific gravels out there but unless you plant to use CO2 and heavy ferts you probably aren't going to see a difference between that and regular gravel.

I've used standard gravel as a mainstay in my aquariums for more than a decade now and have had no problems growing plants at all. Although I didn't use them for a long time I've recently started using root tabs and have been happy with the results so I highly suggest those to supplement whatever type of gravel you use.

pillairp
04-28-2011, 10:14 AM
so what will be a best one for the plants .... gravels or river soil

rich311k
04-28-2011, 10:55 AM
What do you mean by river soil? I use plain aquarium gravel in some tanks and ecocomplete in others. I have not seen that great a difference in growth rates.

Cermet
04-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Taking active soil from a river is a disaster in the making - the number of dangerous things that live/exist in river mud is huge and only stay in balance because it is in a vast water system (including toxins!) In a close system like a tank, you could run into terrible problems. Stick with sand and/or gravel.

funkman262
04-28-2011, 01:32 PM
I use garden soil capped off with fluorite sand and I've had some pretty good results. You just need to be careful because of the extra nutrients in the soil. Once I got my co2 concentration up I no longer had any algae issues.