PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping betta?

fishn00b
04-22-2011, 04:18 AM
Do your bettas sleep (sorta) at night? sometimes late at night when the lighs are dim I notice him just below the surface with his fins totally relaxed except for the side ones that keep moving so he stays in place. Its weird, but its the closest thing i'd seen to a fish sleeping I think

Brhino
04-22-2011, 05:20 AM
all fish sleep. You may also find him resting on a plant or other decoration.

Cyberra
04-22-2011, 05:27 AM
Oh, bettas sleep, all right. I have plenty of pics of the odd ways mine catch a few Zs. And they tend to be more than a little cranky if you wake them up.

Kay3707
04-22-2011, 06:01 AM
My male betta (Mr. Jefferson) sleeps up against a plant.

Cyberra
04-22-2011, 06:10 AM
I've got two who perch on top of plants to sleep, a female who impersonates a twig, a crowntail who pretends he's a leaf, and two who sleep under their castles with their tails sticking out. One of the perchers also likes to sleep along the side of his tank, using one of my Transformers figures as a "nap shield". My golden crown wedges himself into a plant and glares at me in his sleep

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=72430 I have pictures of the weird ways my bettas go chasing dream-pellets

Nick_Pavlovski
04-28-2011, 01:54 AM
I've got two who perch on top of plants to sleep...

My Betta chose a sort of nest where a number of bushy plants all intersected - he would wedge himself into/onto a perch and catch zeds there.

Cyberra
04-28-2011, 02:40 AM
My Betta chose a sort of nest where a number of bushy plants all intersected - he would wedge himself into/onto a perch and catch zeds there.
Mine just kinda hover over the plants; they don't even seem to touch them. Firetail occasionally wedges himself under a plant, impersonates a leaf

tori.lock
04-28-2011, 05:37 AM
Asmodeus is really bizarre. He's in a 3g with a single piece of wood that looks like a piece of root, and he loves to sleep under it. I'll think he's gone,t hen I see this little silver face staring at me between two roots and in a hole in the ground. You'd think he was an eel or a loach, and then poof! It's a betta! I'll try and get a picture of it, but the tank's side needs a scrub and he pops out every time I get close.

Cyberra
04-28-2011, 06:42 AM
XD They love wedging themselves into weird places. I have pictures of the weird ways my bettas sleep

bettamom
05-07-2011, 02:53 PM
this morning I came in to find my betta motionless, head pointing down near the bottom corner of the tank and panicked. I thought he'd died, although his color was fine. I tapped on the tank by him, and then after a moment, he started moving kind of slowly, then took off and is now zipping around like nothing was wrong. Could he have been asleep? He was fine last night and seems fine now again.

Cyberra
05-08-2011, 01:24 AM
He was probably just asleep. They can sleep in the weirdest of positions. How, I have no idea.

aleisha
05-08-2011, 02:04 AM
fish sleep with their eyes open as they have no eyelids

z
z
z
z

Nekohime
05-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Mine's asleep right now in a little cave that he ignored up till yesterday. He's so cute, he looks like a dog in a doghouse. Otherwise, he usually sleeps on the bottom of the tank even though I got him one of those floating betta log beds so he could be closer to the surface.

Cyberra
05-10-2011, 03:10 AM
I just took a picture of one of my females catching some Z's in a plastic anemone

shinji2000_uk
05-11-2011, 07:33 PM
My Betta sit on top of the thermometer against the glass so that he is closer to the surface. Other time he wedge himself into the plant by the corner of the tank.

Cyberra
05-12-2011, 01:53 AM
^_^ I just added new pics to my Funny Betta Sleeping Positions thread down in Photos.

FinalJenemba
05-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Mine likes to sleep planted into the side of his wisteria tree. Picture a plane crashed into a tree with just its tail showing and you'll get the idea lol.