PDA

View Full Version : A few plant questions

MCools
04-21-2011, 03:06 PM
I just bought an anubias nana and some water sprite for my 37g. I'm hoping someone could answer a few questions about them.

Does anubias nana flower? The piece I got has a new shoot on it that doesn't quite look like a leaf, although it doesn't look like a flower either. Also, these tend to grow from the uncut side, right? My piece was the end cut off of another plant and I want to make sure I didn't tie it to the driftwood backwards, lol.

With the water sprite, can I tuck the little root-looking shoots into the substrate and get it to spread wider? I've only had this thing a week and already it is sending out a new shoot from under the sand, and there are several root-looking bits growing from a few inches up. I don't want to have to pull it out to separate it, I'd rather just let it spread on its own (at least for now). Will this work, or is there a better way?

dragoonwoman
04-21-2011, 04:58 PM
With water sprite, I just pinch off a shoot and replant it in the substrate. The roots that grow from the stem can be trimmed off without harm.

You can also let it float, but be warned that it will very quickly cover the water's surface. Good for dimming the light, if your fish prefer that.

Strider199
04-21-2011, 08:11 PM
MCools, your right about the anubias nana growing from the uncut side.

Flower? Mine hasn't but I have only had it for 6 months.

Water Sprite is awesome. It will grow like crazy. Depending on the amount and intensity of your lighting the plant will either grow straight up or grow out. If your lighting is on the lite side the Water Sprite will grow towards the surface. I have to trim mine back every two weeks as it grows to the surface but it is also filling out that corner by bunching up.

MCools
04-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Thank you both for the replies!

I did some more research and it looks like the anubias nana does flower! If that is what I have here (as opposed to a new leaf) I'll make sure I post some pics!

I'm happy the water sprite grows fast! That means it will stand a chance against the goldfishthumbs2:

Strider199
04-21-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm happy the water sprite grows fast! That means it will stand a chance against the goldfishthumbs2:
LOL. Goldfish aka Carp like to dig stuff up, the plants I have in my 55 gallon are with gentle little fish. But if I were to pick a stem plant that just might grow quick enough and root fast enough for Gold fish, Water sprite would be my choice. :ssmile:

Good luck MCools and let us know how it turns out.

fishn00b
04-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Hey Mcools check out this link it's my favorite for any question about any aquatic plants. Shows the anubias nana flower as well, looks cool maybe mine will flower too one day thumbs2:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

MCools
05-10-2011, 08:47 PM
:19: It's a flower!! For sure!!:19:

:11: No, I'm not excited at all....I wasn't 100% sure until it opened up today, lol!thumbs2:

I'll post a few pics as soon as I find the cable for my camera!

SunSchein89
05-11-2011, 01:00 AM
My Anubias nana flowered about a week or so ago for the first time. I found out the hard way that the snails in my tank find it to be a delicacy :smad:

fishn00b
05-11-2011, 02:59 AM
My Anubias nana flowered about a week or so ago for the first time. I found out the hard way that the snails in my tank find it to be a delicacy :smad:

Haha well at least you got it too flower. Mine just grows leaves...very...very... slowly