PDA

View Full Version : Mollies losing color, becoming transparent

earcmba
07-18-2007, 11:45 PM
I have three gold dust mollies that when purchased had vibrant colors and completely opaque fins and bodies. Over the course of about 3 months, they have been losing their color so that now their fins are nearly transparent and their spines and stomachs are visible through their bodies. They otherwise seem healthy. I feed them flake food and spirulina algae disks and occasionally green vegetables. Any ideas on why this has happened and how to get their color back? They looked a lot better before.

salman
07-18-2007, 11:46 PM
I think the food you are giving them isn't good. Try, NLS! (New Life Spectrum)

Lady Hobbs
07-18-2007, 11:51 PM
How often do you do your water changes. Sound a stress related problem to me and clean water can solve many problems.

salman
07-19-2007, 12:21 AM
How often do you do your water changes. Sound a stress related problem to me and clean water can solve many problems.

Water changes are important too. You need to do water changes atleast weekly! The more the better. But, if they dont look stressed or anything, then this might all be normal.

AquaQueen
07-19-2007, 12:49 AM
I was told by a few people that the Tetra-Color Flakes & granules are good for bringing out a fishes true color. I have been using that among a variety of plankton, shrimp & krill and my fish have some nice color. But I would start with a water change and try and pin-point why it happened to prevent this in the future, then start to fix the color fading. Just My opinion tho.

troy
07-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Spirulina enhanced flakes are great for vegetarian fish.

ChurchofAdam
07-19-2007, 03:38 AM
I find nutrafin color enhancing flakes do quite well. but I have a similar symptom with one of my platies, her colour is a lot more muted now and yeah, semi transparent towards the tail. I assumed it's related to her being picked on by a particular male

salman
07-19-2007, 03:47 AM
I think if you do more water changes and feed them a different kind of food they will look beter.

slinky
09-19-2007, 05:21 AM
I've been doing water changes every other day and am encountering this problem. I have 2 gold mollies, 1 red platy, 1 betta and 2 albino cories in my tank. Both gold mollies starting losing color and it looks like the platy is too slightly, or so it seems. I've been using Tetra Algae and Tetra Flakes. The pH ranges between 6.6 and 7.2 from what I can tell (very tough with the colors) and the ammonia level has been pretty solid lately. One starting turning whitish on his bottom and top and the other guy is now losing color steadily. The betta is thriving and the other cory seems to be doing well (the other got popeye and is gone.) Not sure what is happening but I'm encountering similar and it's something else I can't identify.

nick*
11-02-2021, 10:39 PM
hi i just started with this website. have you come up with anything new on Mollies losing color. i have been breeding panda lyretails mollies and the older one lose their color and die. not old enough for old age. under 1 or 2 years old. Much appreciated

Slaphppy7
11-03-2021, 12:07 PM
Thread is over 14 years old, OP never replied, thread closed.

See here for your questions: https://www.fishforums.net/