PDA

View Full Version : I need help....I think....

MeganL3985
07-18-2007, 10:43 PM
I just bought my betta less than 2 days ago and today I was looking at him very close under the light...just kind of inspecting him. He has/had ick...and I started treating him yesterday. He's had two doses, yesterday and today. It says to treat for 3 days, so he's almost done with the treatment. But when looking over his body, mostly on his face/gill area i've noticed some suspicious looking spots. His chin looks a little on the white side, but can't tell if thats normal. Also he's got some red around his gills...which again not sure if its normal coloring. His fins are kind of clumpy looking, which I read is a symptom of ick, but....with all these weird looking areas on his face i'm wondering if there is more wrong with him. I might be overreacting, as I dont often stare at a fish's body. I may also be anticipating him being in bad shape b/c of the ick and coming from walmart (which I know they don't know anything about fish, at mine). Is there anything I can do besides fresh water and salt just to be on the safe side. I don't want to over look these spots incase something really is wrong, but I also don't want to medicate him if its normal. Help!!!!!!!!

salman
07-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I have this General Aid medicine which treats most common diseases. When im not sure whats wrong with my fish or if its acting weird, i just use that.
Also, ich goes away in 3-4 days.. When you are treating ich, (this is from my experience, so i may be wrong) It wont show that its going away, by the 4rth morning if ur treating it right, you will get up and see the ich gone.

MeganL3985
07-18-2007, 11:34 PM
I was reading about different meds and it seems that the Maracyn-Two is used as a remedy for many things. Do you think this is kind of a "general aid" type of med? Like I said I dont want to give him a bunch of different things, but I dont want to ignore the spots that i'm seeing...ya know?

Nick_Pavlovski
07-19-2007, 12:59 AM
Try increasing the temperature a little, as it speeds up the ich lifecycle.
Are you doing small partial water changes to get rid of some of the free-swimming ich?

MeganL3985
07-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Yeah in the morning i've been doing 25%. I figured since I just got him it would be less stressful doing consistant small changes rather than the large water changes that i've read about on other sites.Like some of the betta sites i've poked through have talked about 100% water changes and so on and I just feel like thats a rather big adjustment for the fish to have to go through each week. (I only have a 1 gallon bowl at the moment by the way, just so you know its not like a filtered/heated tank or anything. Its just a temporary thing though.)

Nick_Pavlovski
07-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Agreed, 100% is too much.
I'd up the temperature a couple of days. As for continuing with meds - have you got another brand of meds to try? Sometimes diseases are resistant to one brand but not another...

MeganL3985
07-19-2007, 01:29 AM
No I just bought my betta the other day and very niave of me, but I didnt think I would need to buy meds in the same day. lol I just discovered the ick yesterday and ran right out to walmart and bought some ick meds called "Quick Cure" its a 3 day treatment...it was all they had. All the spots and stuff I noticed were from tonight and i'm going to just monitor them to see if they are normal or if they're from some sort of bacteria/disease. I am not sure if I need to treat with any other meds as of now....unless anyone recommends treating just incase the things I am seeing are a problem. I know its hard to tell from just what i'm saying...especially since I don't even know what exactly i'm seeing. Soooooo confusing....sorry.

Nick_Pavlovski
07-19-2007, 01:31 AM
My LFS guy advised me against stocking up on meds "in case" - said it's best to buy them when you need them, as many have a "use-by" date and you don't want to waste money.

I know others here do believe in stocking up - I guess it's a personal choice, and how much you trust your LFS. Mine seems very good and their advice so far has been very sound.

MeganL3985
07-19-2007, 01:33 AM
My LFS is walmart and petsmart.....neither of them have very good employee's or advice for that matter.....atleast that I have seen so far.

Nick_Pavlovski
07-19-2007, 01:42 AM
Mine is an aquarium shop. Sells fish, tanks, gear for fishtanks, fish food etc. That's all.

See what others advise.

RobbieG
07-19-2007, 01:47 AM
I'd stick with the treatment you are using for a couple of more days and try to change as much water as you can.

The medicine may say not to - if it does say not to follow those directions.

All of the symptoms could be related to the parasites and stress

MeganL3985
07-19-2007, 01:50 AM
I wish I had a nice AND CLEAN reliable LFS around here. Military town, not extremely old....not a whole lot of old "established" places around here. Its probably 95% of new, chain stores. Not a whole lot of people stay here long enough to have one of the nice "private" owned shops that I wish I could go to. Not saying that there aren't new or chained stores that don't have knowledgable staff....just not around here that I know of.

salman
07-19-2007, 02:08 AM
There are like about 15 fish stores next to my house which the farthest one is about a 25-30 min. But i only go to 2 or 3. 2 of the shops all know me.

SkarloeysMom
07-19-2007, 03:21 AM
I think PetSmart has a better selection of meds overall. I have Maracyn-2, Maracide and Coppersafe now. Maracyn-2 is good for fin rot and actually cured my betta of dropsy. Its a antibiotic though and not for ICK.

Maracide and Coppersafe say they treat ICK. The difference is in the way you treat. Maracide says dose on day 1,3 and 5 and you can repeat if needed. Coppersafe is treat once and its good for a month as long as you replace a percentage of the dose when you do a water change.

All that said, I have not ever treated ICK at least not that I know of. I used Maracide to treat velvet on Skarloey and at the time he had a whitish patch on his head that he'd had for a while. After treatment the patch was gone of course the velvet was not! I am now trying Coppersafe for velvet.

I hope that's somewhat helpful to you. I do understand how you feel. Its kind of a helpless feeling being thrown into the roll of fish doc on your 2nd day of having a fish. Try not to worry too much before you complete the treatment. See how it goes and then if you need to you can try another med.

BTW-do you have a test kit yet? A wise person here told me that small unfiltered bowls can go south really quick so watch your levels.

MeganL3985
07-19-2007, 03:33 AM
Yes I have test kit that I use for my 5 gallon tank. I have been and will continue to test daily until I get his permanent home. Then i'll have more of a routine like I do with my 5. Thanks so much for the info...I really appreciate it.

Wallyfish
07-19-2007, 07:57 AM
I've treated ich before. Its a very common and can be treated. If you've treated it before its very easy to tell what ich is. I'm a little worried that your betta could have a fungal infection however. I do not believe that bettas are taken very well care of prior to being sold. It is possible that you have a fungus infection in combination with the ich. Theres a website on betta diseases at http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm Compare the heads of the betta that has the fungal infection with the one that has the ich infection. Also maybe you should add a tiny bit of aquarium salt if you haven't already.

MeganL3985
07-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Aquarium salt has been added, also I am thinking there is a fungal infection as well and i'm planning to go to petsmart to get some Maracyn today. Today is the last day of ich treatment (3day treatment the bottle says). I hear you should wait a week between new meds, is this true? Also if he does have a fungal infection, do you think it would be a good idea to wait a week? I was going to start fungal treatment tomorrow since he will not have any more ich meds to be added. I need some input though b4 I put the other meds in though.

RobbieG
07-19-2007, 04:01 PM
You could try this stuff if he doesn't seem any better soon

I would wait at least a couple of days / change as much water as possible between treatments

BETTAMAX: For the treatment and prevention of bacterial infections, fungal infections, mouth and body fungus, fraying tails and fins, listlessness, poor appetite, splits or holes in fins and tails, poor water quality, discoloration, and vitamin deficiency.

1 Gallon Dosage:Tablets are made for 5 gallons. Dissolve one tablet in 5 tablespoons of water and add 1 tablespoon per gallon.Manufacturer: Aquatronics

SkarloeysMom
07-19-2007, 05:20 PM
I am thinking there is a fungal infection as well and i'm planning to go to petsmart to get some Maracyn today.\

Maracyn is not for fungus. You can try the BettaMax but I seem to remember reading on a Betta forum that I used to be on that BettaMax didn't work as well as some other things but that was last year and I may be remembering wrong.

I've used Jungle products for fungus before with success. I think the bottle of Fungus Eliminator would work for your size tanks rather than the drop in tabs. Those are hard to use in less than a 10g.

RobbieG
07-19-2007, 05:25 PM
There's two maracyns regular maracyn is for fungus & maracyn 2 is for bacterial

They also come in FW and SW

SkarloeysMom
07-19-2007, 06:14 PM
There's two maracyns regular maracyn is for fungus & maracyn 2 is for bacterial

They also come in FW and SW

Oops, I'm wrong. Didn't realize plain Maracyn was for fungus. I think I have every other Mardel product by not but not that one.

I've used Maracyn-2 with great success with my betta. Maracyn is a good choice. You may already know this but if it comes in powder form like the Maracyn-2 and is dosed per 10g tank it makes it easier if you mix it in some water and make a solution to dose your bowl. I used 10 tablespoons of water to mix the powder and then put 1 tablespoon of that solution in my 1g hospital tank.

MeganL3985
07-19-2007, 09:02 PM
I picked up regular maracyn earlier. I think i'm gonna wait about 3 days before putting any in. I got some new plants for his bowl today, cause I bought probably the worst plants for bettas...plastic, spikey leaves with ridges!! Yikes! lol So I got him some rounded leaf, silk plants and a new brine shrimp net so I'm not sharing nets between my bowl and tank. Don't want to transfer any bacteria/fungus/etc. Also got some of those hikari gold betta pellets to go along with the betta medley flake/freeze dried, stuff.

Okay got an important question about the maracyn. It only gives dosing for 10 gallon on the package! What do I do for my 1 gallon bowl? I read on a site to dissolve the package contents into 10 tablespoons of water and use 1 table spoon per gallon? Is this correct?? I don't want to over medicate him!

RobbieG
07-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Thats the right way to do it (the 10 spoonfuls thing) - hopefully its just stress and the ich and he will start looking better before you have to use any more medicine!

SkarloeysMom
07-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Okay got an important question about the maracyn. It only gives dosing for 10 gallon on the package! What do I do for my 1 gallon bowl? I read on a site to dissolve the package contents into 10 tablespoons of water and use 1 table spoon per gallon? Is this correct?? I don't want to over medicate him!

If the dose is like Maracyn-2, it says put 2 packets in a 10g the first day then you would put 2 tablespoons of your solution in your 1g bowl. Then day 2-5 its 1 packet so you put 1 tablespoon of solution. That method worked fine when I used it. I read it somewhere online after I tried pouring out the powder and divide it up into piles. I was like, wtf, there's got to be a better way! You can mix the solution with tank water if you don't have an RO drinking water tap on your sink.

I think i'm gonna wait about 3 days before putting any in. Its probably a good idea to wait and see if the meds you used do anything before treating again. I don't think that a little fungus is gonna take out a betta in a week. They are actually pretty hardy fish.

MeganL3985
07-20-2007, 12:40 AM
Yeah I was worried about having to divide the powder up like 10 different piles! lol But saw that spoon thing on a website earlier, so I was like "okay need to check on that one!" He seems a little bit more active and he's been eating well the whole time, so I guess thats a good sign. I'm just gonna keep an eye on him for the next few days and see if he improves. I really appreciate everyones help with this!

SkarloeysMom
07-20-2007, 12:59 AM
He seems a little bit more active and he's been eating well the whole time, so I guess thats a good sign.

Just a little thought about bettas, their appetite doesn't seem to be a good indicator of their health. In my experience, they have to be practically dead to not want to eat. I think that's why mine had such a bad case of velvet before I figured it out. He was acting normal just had all this gold dust on him that can't even be seen unless you shine a flashlight on him with the lights out. Who knew??!

MeganL3985
07-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Ohhh I forgot I wanted to do that! I wanted to check for velvet the other night when I was checkin out his spots. Hopefully none of that though. lol I already feel like i've got my hands full for a little while with the ick and possible fungus.

MeganL3985
07-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Btw, is it a common thing to buy betta's with multiple problems at once?

RobbieG
07-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Diseases like Ich are usually caused by stress - there is Ich in all water but fish can usually fight it off. Between being shipped to the pet store and transported to your house and all the steps in between he probably just got a little edgy. I would expect him to settle down once he gets a chance to kick back in the new tank and put his feet up.

SkarloeysMom
07-20-2007, 02:06 AM
Like Robbie said, he will probably bounce back just fine. Fugus and Ick are not quick killers and are easily treated. But to answer your question, its really hard to tell if you're getting a healthy fish when you're looking at them through blue, poop-filled water in a tiny plastic cup. At least that's how I've seen them at Walmart and Petsmart. I've realized that you REALLY have to look at them closely and even then you may get a sick fish. Its really kind of a crap shoot most of the time unless you have a really good fish store you can buy from. I bought Ketchup from the best fish store in town and he's not had a single problem.

MeganL3985
07-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Lol That funny seein RobbieG's name, cause thats my husbands name. I was like thinking "Robbie? huh?" "Ohhhhh RobbieG!" lol Gosh i'm having a quirky day.

Wallyfish
07-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Btw, is it a common thing to buy betta's with multiple problems at once?

I have had common experiences of having fungal and bacterial infections with bettas more so than any other fish that i've bought.

crackatinny
07-20-2007, 08:46 AM
I have had common experiences of having fungal and bacterial infections with bettas more so than any other fish that i've bought.

Is that because of the size of there fins and how delicate they look do you think Wally?

Presten
07-21-2007, 02:39 AM
You said you just bought the little guy. If you can do it take him back before you fall in love with him. Wal mart does not take good care of their betta's and we suffer the consequences later.

You could get one that has just arrived there and before he gets sick.

But I took a sick one home too and he has given me more pleasure than any other could have cause he got into my heart, they would have just dumped him.

presten

MeganL3985
07-21-2007, 02:51 AM
I fell in love before I even bought him, thats why I went back before I had the opportunity to buy him a larger home. As it stands now I will invest as much money and time as I can to keep him alive and give him a good home. The night he was brought home he became part of my family. I committed to him for better or worse....lol :)

I appreciate your opinions though. Thank you

Wallyfish
07-21-2007, 06:16 AM
Is that because of the size of there fins and how delicate they look do you think Wally?

I personally think it has to do with the confined space of the cup and the quality of care but don't really know. Betta's that I've bought have always had long fins even for a betta. Perhaps that contributes to finrot more?

RobbieG
07-21-2007, 03:40 PM
I fell in love before I even bought him, thats why I went back before I had the opportunity to buy him a larger home. As it stands now I will invest as much money and time as I can to keep him alive and give him a good home. The night he was brought home he became part of my family. I committed to him for better or worse....lol :)

I appreciate your opinions though. Thank you

Way to go! He sure wouldn't get any better at the store!

Betta's go through a lot before they get home - after he settles in he will be fine.

MeganL3985
07-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Way to go! He sure wouldn't get any better at the store!

Betta's go through a lot before they get home - after he settles in he will be fine.

I hope so! :) Thanks

Nick_Pavlovski
07-22-2007, 09:02 AM
So, how is he doing?

MeganL3985
07-22-2007, 01:00 PM
He seems like he's doing good, I'm still thinking i'm going to treat him for fungus. The white patch under his chin is still bothering me. Other than that I think he's good. I can't wait till the 2.5 gal gets here.....more room and more heat for the poor baby! I hate keeping him in the bowl!

gm72
07-22-2007, 04:56 PM
He'll really open up in a larger tank. So glad to hear you are willing to treat your fish properly!

MeganL3985
07-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Wouldn't have it any other way! :) Fish or not I always treat my animals like I would my daughter. hahaha :)

gm72
07-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Good for you. Great new member to our community!

MeganL3985
07-22-2007, 05:55 PM

RobbieG
07-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Good for you. Great new member to our community!

I'll second that!

MeganL3985
07-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Awe! Ya'll are so nice! I really love it here....:41:

gm72
07-22-2007, 09:27 PM
This is THE place to be. Friendly people (mostly) with a lot of knowledge (mostly). It is more interesting the longer you are here. You get to see a lot of the kids come and go but the people who are dedicated to the hobby stay put and persevere. So glad you joined the ranks. Nice breath of fresh air to have someone dedicated to the hobby and personable to boot!

MeganL3985
07-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Well thanks :) I have a feeling i'll be around for a long time. I'm sure my fish hobby will only get larger...i'm already starting to get MTS. lol My 5 gal in my bedroom. My upcoming 2.5 gal for my betta in my bedroom. And then of course the empty 27 gal I have that i'm currently starting to get ideas for. That ones gonna be slow to get up and running though. I've got to get all new filter, heater, etc for it since its old. But i'm in no hurry, I want to do this one slowly anyway. The more ideas and planning the better :)

gm72
07-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Great outlook. Take it slow, research thoroughly so you don't end up making bad decisions. We'll be here for you!

Drumachine09
07-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Great outlook. Take it slow, research thoroughly so you don't end up making bad decisions. We'll be here for you!

Agreed. The best advice someone can give is do your reasearch before hand, that way, nothing comes back to bite you in the arse because you wanted instant gratification. A lot of us have learned that the hard way (myself included).

MeganL3985
07-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah I did that will my 5 gal. Didn't know a thing, just thought you filled the tank up with water and plopped the fish it. Thankfully I found this site and you all helped me out. Could never repay you all for the things you've taught me.

gm72
07-22-2007, 10:21 PM
You can repay us by being a long term member and helping other newbies with the lessons that you have learned!

Drumachine09
07-22-2007, 10:22 PM
You can repay us by being a long term member and helping other newbies with the lessons that you have learned!

You you could send 3 easy payments of $29.95 to........

lol

Nick_Pavlovski
07-22-2007, 10:23 PM
All this Betta talk is wanting me to try to justify to my wife buying another 6g and putting a metallic green Betta in there...

gm72
07-22-2007, 10:24 PM
No, no, you've got it all wrong, Drum. 6 easy payments of $1,200 each. To my account. There you go! :laugh1blue:

MeganL3985
07-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Lol :) Yep, No prob...it done deal boys! :D

crackatinny
07-22-2007, 11:39 PM
As you said, you have learned a lot in the short time you have been a member, just pass on that knowledge.

The way you have supported and defended the site in the past week, has more than showed your dedication around here, good job:thumb:

gm72
07-22-2007, 11:42 PM
...and because of your dedication I'm going to crack a tinny! Well, I've already cracked quite a few tinnys today. I'm going for the Cognac. :28:

MeganL3985
07-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Ahahahaha...lol I have yet to stock mine back up.....blah! hahaha