PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crabs?

SummerSkin
04-17-2011, 01:24 AM
So here's the scoop!

I recently bought a salt water specifically designed for jellyfish, I have one moon Jellyfish and plan on buying three more, but the thing is, whatever food doesn't land in the bell of my new baby goes directly to the bed of my tank (which is an 8 gallon cylinder shaped). I've wanted to own emerald crabs ever since I laid eyes on their pretty green bodies with furry little legs and I thought that it might be a good idea to have one to clean up the left-overs (which is just a ground up type of shrimp).
Here's the draw-back; my jellyfish has to have a layer if glass marble pebbles layered over the broken up coral along the bottom of my tank so it does not snag itself on the sharp surface of the rocks, and I can't have any live rock in the tank for the same reasons. Could an emerald crab survive in these conditions? If not is there any type of cleaning crew that could help me out?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-17-2011, 01:35 AM
I think you'd be better off getting something like a Sea Squirt and using it to manually remove extra food. I know it seems like a lot of work, but I think it would work much better than trying to keep emerald crabs. The crabs would likely have a difficult time navigating the marbles.

SummerSkin
04-17-2011, 01:43 AM
I think you'd be better off getting something like a Sea Squirt and using it to manually remove extra food. I know it seems like a lot of work, but I think it would work much better than trying to keep emerald crabs. The crabs would likely have a difficult time navigating the marbles.

I'm not exactly sure what a Sea Squirt is? Enlighten me?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Here ya go: Sea Squirt (http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Marine-Nautilus-Squirt-Feeding/dp/B001EUI3UO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303004691&sr=8-1)

Similar to a turkey baster, just extendable. It may also help with feeding your Moon Jelly.

SummerSkin
04-17-2011, 01:49 AM
Here ya go: Sea Squirt (http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Marine-Nautilus-Squirt-Feeding/dp/B001EUI3UO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303004691&sr=8-1)

Similar to a turkey baster, just extendable. It may also help with feeding your Moon Jelly.

I actually do use a turkey baster to feed him haha
Thank you for the advice..
Though I am very sad it wouldn't work out...maybe I'll make another tank specifically for the little guys, they're so cute! (: