PDA

View Full Version : Why are they dying?

jessfish
04-15-2011, 06:02 PM
I have a 10g tank in my classroom, I tested the water, added 6 small tetras & 5 ghost shrimp, a couple days later I added 7 more ghost shrimp.

I has been a week since all 12 shrimp were in the tank & from what I can tell there are 4 maybe 5 left.

On monday 3-4 had been sucked into the filter over the weeken, so I fixed that problem (covered the intake tube with panty hose) but shrimp have continued to die all week. They seem healthy, running for food or reaching out for it when the fish get fed, i think there was even one molting.

There is a cave & a pot decoration - but both are large enough that the tetras can fit inside as well as the shrimp.
There are fake plants.

Do the shrimp need floating plants?
Should there be more plants?
Could the fish be going after the shrimp?
What kind of hidding place is good for shrimp that are small as well as full grown (1.5in) that the fish cant get into?

I would really like to get more, the kids seem to love them but I dont want to add any if they are going to die.

There are also 5 small pond snails in the tank...would that be an issue?

Brhino
04-15-2011, 06:12 PM
are you finding dead shrimp, or just assuming they've died because you don't see them?

Cliff
04-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Could your shrimp be molting and that is what you found sucked up into the filter ?

I first time one of my shrimp molted I thought I was looking at a dead body when it was only the molted shell.

As Brhino said (kind of), they could be hinding someplace in the tank

Corvus
04-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Shrimp are very sensitive to water conditions. Do you have your water test results? In the wild shrimp propagate through sheer numbers, so they die but there will be more to replace them soon! Do make sure to test for copper, as that is the first thing i would check for unexplained die off. It is also pretty common to have a few of them die off and not see them anymore, as the others have eaten the carcass. Is the tank fully cycled?

Have you seen any of the Tetras nipping at the shrimp? I have some really docile tetras, and some really aggressive ones...

As far as hiding places go, I find that a "tunnel" is the best place for them to "chill" in. PVC pipe can be bought cheaply and covered with substrate for aesthetic looks.

Tango
04-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Corvus is right, shrimp are very sensitive to water quality.

Whenever one of my shrimp died, the carcass was eaten completely before the day was over. I also thought that my shrimp had died at one point, but found them going about the tank a few days later. They do like to hide.

Almost all my fish try to eat the shrimp. The only shrimp i've ever had for any length of time was a flower shrimp because he was twice as big as my fish. The smaller shrimp were eaten (I hadn't much experience at that point).

I also was fooled a few times by molted shells into thinking my shrimp had died.

Have you kept shrimp before, or is this your first time?

jessfish
04-15-2011, 10:46 PM
The water was ammonia 0, nitrates 10, nitrites 0, ph 7.6

& yes they were bodies that i've been finding...so im pretty sure that isn't molting, how would i know the difference? is it an empyt shell when they molt? the shrimp i've found have turned white.

I've also had 2 fish die this week, but they were from the "assorted tetras" tank so i wasn't sure of their health.

but im more concerne for the shrimp at this point since they seem to be dropping fast & the other fish are healthy & acting normal (the 2 that died were not acting normal)

Is there a test specifically for copper?

is high ph a concern for shrimp? the ph of 7.6 is within normal range as far as i know BUT i live 10min from work & my ph at home is 6.4-6.6.
Plus the teacher who was in the room before me said any fish she put in the tank died...i thought it was becasue she was putting big goldfish in a 10g & not cleaning it...but maybe there is a water quality issue that im not aware of?

i really love the shrimp!

i did bury the cave a little more to try & give them a better hiding spot from fish just in case the fish are a problem...

Brhino
04-15-2011, 11:18 PM
pH should be fine.

Shrimp molts look clearish white, limp, and hollow. Dead shrimp have more substance to them.

You can get a copper test kit, yeah.

jessfish
04-16-2011, 12:18 AM
pH should be fine.

Shrimp molts look clearish white, limp, and hollow. Dead shrimp have more substance to them.

You can get a copper test kit, yeah.

thanks! i'll get a copper test kit tomorrow. ya there are moltings & dead shrimp then lol
maybe the eggs that were (hopefully) laid will actually grow into baby shrimp & not be eaten by the fish & snails lol