PDA

View Full Version : ich frustration

mathguru
07-17-2007, 10:45 PM
My 29 gal tank is fully cycled, 0 amonnia, 0 nitrites. My population includes 1 common pleco (5 in at last measure), 1 Chinese algae eater, 5 blue danios, 1 fiddler crab (he has access to dry gravel via an upside down flower pot with an air bubble in it), and several snail interlopers. Tank is planted with Amazon swords. SO... my pleco had ich about 2 weeks ago... I treated by raising temp to 84 degrees for several days... spots disappeared. I kept temp up, no spots for at least three more weeks. Now my danios (that I just added 2 weeks ago) have ich spots. I've been avoiding treatment with meds because I really don't want my pleco to get killed from it. But am I always going to have ich unless I treat with malachite green or copper? What if I do 100 percent water changes and also change out all my filters (keeping only my biowheel)? Will that be worth having to partially cycle again or will ich just reappear? If I DO treat with malachite green or copper, will it kill my filters and/or pleco? Thanks.

salman
07-17-2007, 11:18 PM
You need to medicate it for it to go, you cant just raise the temp. Go to your LFS and im sure they sell Ich medicine there. It will go in about 2-3 days depending on what you use.

rollie
07-18-2007, 05:43 PM
heat of 83f will kill ick, no problem. but you could try some ick meds from the store.

ick is in all water, everywhere. this is a known fact.

if temperture drop to low, or they are being stress out, this will do it.

when you do your water changers, make sure the water is the same temperture or abit highter. there alot of reason why your fish could be getting ick.
these are just some.

dev
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
You need to medicate it for it to go, you cant just raise the temp. Go to your LFS and im sure they sell Ich medicine there. It will go in about 2-3 days depending on what you use.

Raising the temperature will prevent them from reproducing. Since they don't live very long, that alone will make them go away.