PDA

View Full Version : my bff fish?

genocidex
04-13-2011, 06:11 AM
so i saw a comercial for "my bff" fish. apparently they sell dried fish eggs and they hatch.
i was like WTH????
then i saw they looked quite nice......
the sight calls them "Nothobranchius Korthausae"
any ideas on these fish?

heres the website
www.mybffnow.com/

Dave66
04-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Killiefish, including that Northo species, are often traded back and forth by enthusiasts, live fish and also eggs like you've seen. Northos are annual killies, meaning they live short lives (a year or two), spawn, the parents die, and the eggs hatch when the rains return to their native waters, which can be months before that happens.

There are also killie species that are perennials and live far longer, some species much longer.

Killie keeping is a fascinating hobby with a very large following, but the eggs and fish aren't easily found in say, your local fish store.

Dave

genocidex
04-13-2011, 06:40 PM
thats quite interesting. i i might get into these when i have a free tank lol. i just thought it was some weird gimick or something.
so these eggs are actually real killie eggs that are "just waiting for the rain" so to speak?
now the big question, with something like this mass marketed product. would you trust them? 20 dollars seems like a steal if i can get them to spawn b4 they die lol

Dave66
04-14-2011, 12:02 PM
The eggs are quite resistant, since it can be months or years before rain returns to fill the pools in nature.

Decent price, but I'd read my killifish primer sticked on this forum what's necessary to keep Northos.

Dave

genocidex
04-14-2011, 07:12 PM
thanks ive been biting into the primer bit by bit since my first respounce