PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Convicts

Fish Newbie
07-17-2007, 06:26 PM
I recently purchased two new convicts from the pet store and put them in with 2 angel fish
One of the convicts chases the other one all the time, until the other one hides in a plant. When the convict gets a glimpse of the other one again it goes after the fish and now the fish floats at the very top and doesn't like to move a whole lot.

Would it be o.k. to move this fish in with my 3 neons and rainbow tetra until she gets as big as the other convict picking on her?

Willyleigh
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I recently purchased two new convicts from the pet store and put them in with 2 angel fish
One of the convicts chases the other one all the time, until the other one hides in a plant. When the convict gets a glimpse of the other one again it goes after the fish and now the fish floats at the very top and doesn't like to move a whole lot.

Would it be o.k. to move this fish in with my 3 neons and rainbow tetra until she gets as big as the other convict picking on her?

I think that it would be risky putting the convict with neons, try and buy a tank divider to seperate the more agressive convict from the others leaving them in the same tank.

rollie
07-17-2007, 07:22 PM
convicts like to fight.

if you put her in with your neons, she may kill them.

if you could put her, by herself, would be better.

you will also need to treat her.

and oh yes, i live in nova scotia. lol

Fish Newbie
07-17-2007, 09:21 PM
May I ask what it matters where you live :O) Not to be mean

I can not put the convict alone... any other suggestions? Why are they doing this?

rollie
07-17-2007, 10:16 PM
May I ask what it matters where you live :O) Not to be mean

I can not put the convict alone... any other suggestions? Why are they doing this?

lol not to nice. lol

Fish Newbie
07-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Rollie can you help?

crackatinny
07-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Is it bloated or pregnant, the mating habit of convicts involves a lot of chasing and what looks like fighting, the inactivity seems a bit odd, usually convicts can hold there own with there own species as well as larger species, maybe a pic could help.

Fish Newbie
07-18-2007, 12:44 AM
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/OpalsLove/?action=view&current=IMG_2606.jpg

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/OpalsLove/?action=view&current=IMG_2603.jpg

Fish Newbie
07-18-2007, 12:47 AM
The first pic is the one being chased

Fishguy2727
07-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Both are females. The one chasing may never let the other around. I don't think the smaller one would kill neons (she looks to only be 1-1.25"). Many times cichlids will actually ignore smaller fish, especially if there are other cichlids to pay attention to. I would try her in with the smaller fish and if problems occur take her back.

If one is cowering in fear of the other, it is not healthy breeding behavior.

Fish Newbie
07-18-2007, 12:58 AM
I had her in with the rainbow tetra and neons but they look scared and she was much more comfortable in that tank...
I hate for them to suffer cause she can't live with the other female.
Why would she be cowering like that

Fishguy2727
07-18-2007, 01:55 AM
The other is just more dominant and intolerant of her. What size tank are they in?

Fish Newbie
07-18-2007, 11:04 AM
They are in a 30 gallon aquarium with two Angels, the are still very small and one is smaller than the other.

I put the bullied one in with my neons and she kind of take hold of the clay pot in there and chases the other fish away if she thinks they are in her territory, and that's only a 10 gallon tank. As long as she doesn't terrorize or eat my tetras I am o.k.

Fishguy2727
07-18-2007, 01:40 PM
That's typical. They are more likely to be territorial of a spot and chase fish from it than to terrrorize the tank. This isn't true for many other (especially larger) species of cichlids.

Fish Newbie
07-18-2007, 01:43 PM
So as long as my tetras are still alive 12 hours later they should be fine in the same tank? Do you think when the female cichlids are the same size I could try them together again?

Fishguy2727
07-18-2007, 02:08 PM
If you try them together again, stick the big one in a specimen cup (they are useful if you have any fish, and you can buy them from the LFS, they are what they catch fish in) while you completely rearrange the tank. Try adding a few pieces of decor and maybe even removing one or two old ones (mainly the one she picks as her house). This way it completely throws off the bigger one. Maybe even keep her in the container for a half hour while the smaller one settles in.

Fish Newbie
07-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Well I tried the convict in with my tetras and one mysteriously died so I took her back out and put her in with the other female convict...guess it''ll have to be that way she did it to herself. So this one will probably die, if I wanted to get another convict how do I know which would be best for my moody female

Fishguy2727
07-19-2007, 10:22 PM
I would take the smaller one back to the store, no need for her to die.

If the first female is that territorial, you may want reconsider her instead. Usually females are not that aggressive.

Lady Hobbs
07-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Gosh yes. Take her back by all means. Being harassed until she dies is no life for her.

Fish Newbie
07-19-2007, 11:38 PM
If I take back the territorial one, would the other one come around again and stop hiding in the plant?

Fishguy2727
07-20-2007, 12:36 AM
In all likelihood.

salman
07-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Don't put them with your tetras, i repeat dont put them with your tetras, they will get eaten within minutes.

My convicts always fight, but i just leave them, since they are not hurting eachother alot and there isnt any permanent damage. If you think one of them will die, then seperate them or take them back to your LFS and get another fish.

Fishguy2727
07-20-2007, 01:34 AM
Actually, under ceratin circumstances cichlid behavior can be very surprising. I had a 55 that had a young oscar (~3.5"), salvini, jewel cichlids, danios, barbs, and tetras. Under these circumstances the cichlids were territorial and really only paid attention to the other cichlids, basically ignored the community fish. I think they knew they had no competition from the community fish. I would not suggest this setup, or would have been surprised if it stayed that way for a long time, but nonetheless, you never know.

Fish Newbie
07-21-2007, 09:05 PM
So the timid one killed two of my tetras, so much for that
And she still hides in the plant of the 30 gal with the territorial cichlid.

I NEED HELP NOW< I am not sure what to do, would exchanging one of them for another of the same fish help?

Fishguy2727
07-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Yes, try trading in the more aggressive one.

Fish Newbie
07-22-2007, 10:33 PM
I traded in the more agressive one and now the timid one came around and won't stop attacking my angels.....

n0zqh
09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
I've had convicts now for several years. Here is my advise to you:
Loose your convicts if you want to keep angels or tiny tetras.
I have 2 of my convicts in with my 8" Jaguar, when the convicts have
babys in the tank, that Jag gets the hell outa the way.
When there are no babys it is a jaguar tank, when there is babys it is a convict tank.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119541&stc=1&d=1187227004