PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Hollywood! Newbie with an Inherited 29g/planted

Gotara
04-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Hi everyone!

Very happy to have been cruising through the posts and have seen some solid, helpful advice from people that not only love the hobby, but really care about their fish companions! Which is why I am here.

To start off, I inherited a 29g tank - slightly neglected - of which I have been trying to improve.

Standard 29g glass tank
Whisper 30 filter
Standard hood - completely covered top
Some live plants (I put those in)
T5 light set up 10000k dual specrum bulbs (I put those on)

Now...for my fish friend stock

**Please remember, I inherited this tank and I'm trying to fix some of the obvious issues**

2 Angelfish
2 Glofish - I in NO WAY support this, its an awful practice and I will do my best to make the rest of their days delightful!
3 Neon Tetras - I realize they need a few more buddies to school properly
3 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Rummynose Tetras
2 Red Wagtail Platys
2 Mickey Mouse Platys
1 Orange Platy
1 Speckled Platy (black and orange)
1 Pleco - I know he's gonna get too big for the tank and my LFS has already told me to bring him in for a credit
2 sm. octocinclus (I got these two to combat the beard algae)
1 snail (he just showed up- probly on the plants I bought that also had the algae - I wasnt educated on that yet)

Now I know this tank seems grossly overcrowded...

But I have been able to get all my water to healthy and safe levels and this tank has been running in my house for 2 months, no ammonia spikes...I did battle a bacterial spike and am seeing some consequence of this...more on that later.

These are the base stats I've had for the last 1.5 months:
pH 7.4
ammonia - nitrate - nitrite 0 ppm

AND all of the fish are getting along swimmingly! In fact, even the two angelfish seemed to have paired off nicely, ruling the roost!
The platys are rambunctious little fellers - one of which is pregnant

Everyone is very active and seemingly healthy!

I just wanted to introduce myself because I do have a few issues that I need specific help with...but I will repost this and my questions with pictures in an appropriate section.

I look forward to your help and many years of enjoying this wonderful hobby!

Cliff
04-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Welcome to the forum

boang3000
04-12-2011, 12:26 AM
thumbs2: welcome to AC!

Cermet
04-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Hello and welcome.

Looks like the fish got a great owner! :11:

Since you know that the ammonia and nitrites are zero, the fish are doing good - just don't change the filtering media in the filter! The bio-action is holding up well.

You must do large water changes and often to have zero nitrate - that is more common for discus tanks - excellent work.

I think your filter is a bit underrated and you should consider a larger HOB (Hang On the Back) filter that will provide more turn over.

You can post in the general or technical section on this issue.

Good start and good luck :hmm3grin2orange:

gadget228
04-12-2011, 11:28 AM
:welcomewave: to the AC... :22:

Cyberra
04-12-2011, 11:42 PM
^_^ Welcome to the community

mermaidwannabe
04-13-2011, 12:13 AM
First a huge mermaid welcome to you!

Are you under the impression that Glofish are dyed? They aren't. If you wish to discuss that further, the general aquarium forum would be good for that. If you have Glofish, you aren't supporting the dyeing of fish, I wish to assure you.

Glad you have the well-being of your fish in mind.

To discuss better filter alternatives, the technical section, or the general aquarium section would be the place to go.

-- mermaidwannabe

DylanisHawttt
04-13-2011, 01:36 AM
Welcome to the AC :22: