PDA

View Full Version : Tetra ebooks?

MrPlatypus
04-11-2011, 07:34 AM
I'm on a quest to put together a large library of assorted tetra material, and if anyone knows where I can obtain books to begin to make my elibrary a little better informed on the subject of them.
Thanks!
__Christopher__

Lady Hobbs
04-11-2011, 10:53 AM
How about the library?

Strider199
04-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Thats where I got my information, the library. Mind you that was way back when, before p.c.'s and the internet. Honest though, they have the info as Lady Hobbs suggested.

dbosman
04-12-2011, 12:51 AM
A good library will be the best source of printed material. They can also request via IntraLibrary loan, a lot of books they wouldn't shelve. All you have to do is ask.

Unless the author is a recognized fish expert, take everything in the books under advisement. Far too many of the cheap aquarium, and in fact any pet, books are full of bad information. Outdated isn't an issue usually. Flat out garbage cribbed from some other piece of garbage is too often an issue. There are whole pet book lines that use most of the same text for each book only changing the pictures and the species name.

The same caveat applies to on line sources.
There is far too much garbage copied and pasted from one bad site to another. There are some out and out lies, that if used as search terms, will yield thousands of sites repeating them. I use the term lies as the bad info could easily have been checked, but wasn't.

If you have access to a public university or research library, take advantage of it. Taxpayers fund those so you should have relatively easy access. Parking may be an entirely different matter.
If you have never used a research library, go straight to the reference desk and ask for help. Librarians are there to help. If they offer classes on research or better searching, it will be worth your time to take it. One major benefit is the instructor can put you in touch with subject librarians who can make your research time a lot more productive.

Have fun.

MrPlatypus
04-14-2011, 02:22 PM
I think that's a pretty good idea all in all. I think I'll go and hit my local library, see what they can help me track (or I can find in their catalog), take some of the more respected names I encounter, run them the library where my mother-in-law works, and then go out and raid campus resources at the wife's, and soon to be my, college. From there, Google Fu.
I think I'm going to start with the Ruby Reds and then the Silver Tips.

Thanks! Don't know why I didn't think of going the easy route. (Besides, owe the wife a date to the library anyway.)

John009
07-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide.