PDA

View Full Version : Snails on intake...

Zerileous
07-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Okay, so I posted below about my snail getting partially sucked into the intake of my aquaclear 30. Well, he recovered fine, but the problem is that they KEEP DOING IT.

It seems the only solution is to keep the flow on a low setting, which I dislike because I think its better to varry it some.

Its very annoying to turn the filter off and pull snails from the intake! Plus it CAN'T be good for them! WHY ARE THEY SO DUMB? I wish they would just figure out that its not a good place to be. This is happening at least once a day. It seems like as soon as they recover from one bout with the filter, they are back at the thing again after roaming the tank for only a few hours! I think they are trying to eat algae from inside of the intake tube or something.

What can I do to protect them from the filter? Should I just leave them be? maybe they are okay and I am just overreacting.

TowBoater
07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Lol, they must like the feeling on there belly. It is probably bothering them more when you take them off. I don't know what you can do to prevent it except lower the intake.

gm72
07-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Mine do that too. I think they are doing it because of the buildup of material that they are able to grab. Might also be a sensation kind of thing. Don't worry about it. If they want to they'll move, they aren't stuck. Lowering the intake doesn't help, trust me.

I added sponge prefilters to all of my filters and this seemed to help.

ChromeLibrarian
07-19-2007, 01:31 AM
My snails spend a lot of time on the intake for my filter. I'd have to agree that it has something to do with a buildup of snail food on the intake.

Zerileous
07-19-2007, 01:34 AM
okay, good to know

salman
07-19-2007, 05:22 AM
How do they get sucked into the filter? :O lol.. the filter holes are soo small. They need to be like 5mm to get sucked in.

gm72
07-20-2007, 02:00 AM
Salman, depends on the filter. Some intakes have larger spaces than others.

YaYgoldFish
07-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Oh man i remember one of my first mystery snails ever had its head into the intake and i wanted to help it get out..OUCH...i felt soo bad lol...i should of left it there, it was a beautiful golden color too.. :(

TowBoater
07-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Lol, no need to say more. Mine like to get on my air stones as well. I think it is sensation as well.