PDA

View Full Version : grr... petsmart...grr

Jilila
04-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Just needed to vent...Today I went to Petsmart to buy some zebra danios....looked the tank over, appeared to be clean...tell them I want 3 larger danios because the danios I have in my tank are larger and tend to pick on the smaller ones...bring them home...THE ONE'S GOT MOUTH FUNGUS AND A BLOODY EYE!!! SERIOUSLY?! :steamingears: Returned them and got my money back....the "expert" working back there asked if I wanted more fish from that tank. Umm...no! Anyway, found a LFS and bought some new ones there. I apologize for anyone who works there and is knowledgable about the fish, but the people working at the petsmart near me aren't.

Needless to say I will be CAREFULLY inspecting all the fish before I take the home from now on...

Ok, I've vented and feel better. Can't vent to the husband because he just gives me a blank look....doesn't understand my fishy love. You all understand my frustration. thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
04-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Good job. Taking them back is exactly what you should have done.

Strider199
04-11-2011, 01:56 AM
You did the right thing Jilila. I wouldn't have the "you know what to take them back."

I always study the tank/fish for about a week from petsmart before committing to a purchase. Not that that has always paid off but it gives me a little more time to check out the future stock.

Well done Jilila! :shappy:

Scrup
04-14-2011, 10:42 PM
its important to remember as well in those box stores, most of them anyway, the tanks are all on one filtration system, so if there are sick fish in one of them, the others have been exposed. Just consider them all as being in the same tank.

Rue
04-14-2011, 10:48 PM
They also run a UV sterilzer, use salt and medicate when necessary...so who knows just how disease free it all is...or not...

Surfdog
04-16-2011, 06:27 PM
I would have done the same! Well done... On that note, my hats off to 1 of the two (chain) lfs's I deal with in my town. They run a sump system and told me what tanks not to perruse as they had an ick infestation. :22:

Tango
04-16-2011, 08:06 PM
I bought 8 different fish from the closest Petsmart in my area, 3 were bettas (so they weren't connected to anything else). They all appeared very healthy. Within a week, every single one had died. I don't think I'll be buying fish there again.

ElizabethJKR
05-17-2011, 12:04 AM
I've had worse luck with Petsmart than any other fish store. I got a bunch of tropical fish with my dad one time and within two weeks, all gone. Also went through Bettas like crazy because they kept dying. Finally after the fifth one died in two weeks, they told me I wasn't suppose to a new fish or my money back. Then while in college, I went to Petco and the first Betta I got there lived for over a year. He would have lived longer, but the tank I put him in at home got contaminated with something and he died while I was at work.

Now I go to a local fish store and so far after two months, my Danios are still healthy and active. I might have two females and they might even be pregnant.

Of course, Petsmart seems to treat all their animals horribly (except the cats it seems).

skullduggery1
05-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Sorry to here about the bad luck.Personally,i happen to love petsmart ,because today my wife got 6 more healthy roseline sharks(Dennison's barbs)for only 6.99.Because of inexperienced help with the cash register.I will take it.Should I feel ashamed?Nahh..I will call it sweet justice.On another note at another box store,there was a pacific parrotlet in with some budgies and no label,except clay school parrotkeets.So I ask a employee is that a parrotkeet to which he replied yes 12.99.And then I asked"Are you sure?" He replied yes,quite,cool I said I will take it.

Fishkeeper
01-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Our petsmart is pretty good. The fish are healthy, and all the fish types are clearly labled with size.

Shyris
01-15-2012, 12:31 AM
I like the Petsmart in my town all right. Mostly due to the fact that one of their employees, the lead in the fish department, actually has experience with fish. She'll give practical advice when people ask for it, and seems to actually have experience with the equipment they sell too. I sort of love her. She's told me when they get their shipments in, and how to generally figure out what's coming in on the next order. It's great.

johnbrooke
01-21-2012, 02:42 PM
i have gone to petco petsmart in the past but after getting lots of sick fish from there i have stopped plus i think my two young kids have more knowledge than them i asked one worker one time that i want the two cobra male guppies out of the tank and he looked at me and said oh we cant tell the males and females apart are you kidding me even a 1st grader can tell the difference i stick to fish stores only now

Lady Hobbs
01-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Old thread now closed.