PDA

View Full Version : New to Shrimp

Strider199
04-10-2011, 09:04 PM
I posted this thread in Tank set-up,

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=76930

But since this is my first attempt at an invertebrate tank I thought that maybe I could get some feedback from the experts.

I haven't started putting the substrate in yet as the driftwood is still boiling on the stove. I will appriciate any tips and/or hints for the succesfull launch of this 10 gallon shrimp tank.

Stlouisfish
04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
What kinds of shrimp did you have in mind? Some are "filter feeders" and need an established tank to feed from, others feed off of some kind of algae or leftover food.

Strider199
04-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Thats the kind of info I'm looking for andreahp. I have my eye on some Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina Heteropoda var. Red), to start with. Reading about them it seems this is a hardy species which can tolerate a wide range of pH and hardness, eats almost anything from blanched spinach, zucchini, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, fish flakes, and bloodworms.
If the RCS is a success I was looking a Red crystal shrimp and the blue variety as well.
There are some mini orange Mexican Lobsters in that tank as well at $30. a pop. I haven't looked them up to see what requirements they have or their temperment yet. Anyone have any experiance with these?

Brhino
04-11-2011, 11:43 PM
RCS are indeed good starter shrimp. I've got a tank full of them.

I haven't seen the exact phrase "mini orange Mexican Lobster" before, but "Lobster" almost always means "crayfish" when you're talking about freshwater critters. A crayfish will treat a tank full of RCS (or other similar shrimp) like you or I would treat a bag of doritos.

Strider199
04-11-2011, 11:48 PM
LOL about the doritos analogy. I agree Brhino they look like fresh water orange crayfish (really cool colouration). Now that I think of it, they were in a tankfull of GBR's and when a Ram got too close, up came the pincer, the Ram backed off. I'll stay with shrimp, thanks for the dose of reality.

Strider199
04-12-2011, 11:44 PM
A question if you will;

In a ten gallon tank, how many RCS should one start out with after cycling? I've read posts of 20 to 50. At $4.00 a piece I dont think so. Heck some of the bumble bee type shrimp go for $12.00 a piece.
From keeping school fish I know to get at least 8 of the same type but with shimp I'm lost.
Also looking at the shrimp at the lfs, are there symptoms I should be looking for before I buy some RCS?

Corvus
04-12-2011, 11:57 PM
From my experience with nano shrimp tanks I would recomend cherries or amano. Amanos are very common to find and fairly priced. Cherries can be found online for good prices and are much more attractive. Having them shipped normally means they will pick ones that are a little older and healthier, plus if you are missing any when they arrive most places will refund.

The basic advice I can give are these three things:
1.Have a good ammount of plants in your tank for the shrimp. (Healthy java moss is the cheapest and works great!)
2. Be sure the tank is Completely cycled! As, I have had losses from minimal paramater changes...
3. Never ever ever add anyhting that has copper or any other strange metals. (Can wipe them all out over night...)

Otherwise, shrimp are pretty easy and fun!
Good Luck!

Strider199
04-13-2011, 12:04 AM
I haven't thought about buying them on-line. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that out.
Your info on keeping them is what my goal is Corvus. Thanks for your reply. I'm still seeding the shrimp tank with some filter pad from my 55 gallon and two guppies to keep the bacteria fed. The plants, mainly Java moss right now, have been fertilized with some Leaf one liquid fert. Just waiting for the tank to settle down before introducing some shrimp.

The Guppies belong to my daughter tank, they are only on loan.

Cascade
04-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I got my cherry shrimp from a seller on aquabid. $15 for 17 shrimp + moss + free shipping. Definitely beat the $4-5 price per shrimp at the local stores! All arrived alive and doing well, even though the post office was late by a day. I did pay an extra $2 to have a heat pack included in the box, which I highly recommend.

Definitely shop around, the prices for them in the LFS can be downright silly.

You'll enjoy having a tank of RCS, they are definitely hardy and they reproduce a LOT if conditions are right (good quality water).

Brhino
04-13-2011, 02:51 PM
got mine from aquabid as well, similar price to Cascade. Definitely beats buying them at a LFS.

Strider199
04-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Thank you Cascade and Brhino for the reference aquabid. I'll check them out and see if they deliver to Canada.

Strider199
04-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Well I didn't find any deals on aquabid that shipped to Canada but using that idea I did come across a person who ships out of Toronto (45 minutes away). 100 RCS for $30.00 Canadian. I e-mailed that individual to see if they had a pick-up location. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the idea people.thumbs2:

Strider199
04-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Quick update; I pick up my shrimp tomorrow. The tank was tested last night, ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 5-10ppm. I did a 30% water change after those reading. I need more plants in this tank which I have on order from Big Als. The riccia should be there tomorrow as well.

Strider199
04-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I drove through the fog and rain for an hour and 15 today to pick up my CRS. Got them back home and put them into the ten gallon tank after floating the bag and adding small amounts of my tank water. They range in size from 1/8 inch to 7/8 inch. Some are turning nice and cherry red while a few are still transparent. Most have a reddish hue about them. There are three pregnant females in this batch which are the largest of the brood. The two guppies were moved back to my daughters tank. I will feed them a piece of algae wafer later tonight. These little critters are very active. Are they suppose to be so or is something wrong with their environment?

Brhino
04-17-2011, 12:33 AM
they're pretty active, especially when they're checking out something new, and there's not any scary fish for them to worry about.

Strider199
04-17-2011, 01:24 AM
Thanks Brhino for the info. There are about 50 shrimp in this 10 gallon tank and most are on the move. I took out the scary fish because I wanted them to feel at home without having to hide. Some are nice and coloured but most at this point are still pale. We'll see tomorrow how their colour goes. Is the a specific food to enhance their colour or is it genetics?

Brhino
04-17-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm not sure if a food will help or not. I do know that when I got mine in the mail, they were all practically transparent, but they started to color up pretty quickly after that. Also, the females will tend to be solid red, whereas the males will be less brightly colored.

Strider199
04-17-2011, 06:21 PM
This morning I went down to the basement to check on the RCS and not one loss to be found. The 1/4 wafer I put in late last night is still present but in small pieces which the shrimp take turns munching on. How long can the same piece of wafer be kept in the tank before it turns nasty?

There must be a Jave moss shortage this time of year. I have some moss in the tank attached to the driftwood but I wanted more to add. Three stores later and I've come up empty. I might have to harvest some from my 55 gallon which I hate to do because it's just growing in nicely.

I wonder if garden centres (which sell pond plants), have Java for sale?