PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaaaaaaaagggh

Scrup
04-09-2011, 05:52 AM
So the question- How well do 3"-6" bluegill and 7+" goldfish get along in a 200ish gallon pond?

The story.....is long and complicated, but I now have a pond that was happy with goldfish and got 8 bluegill poured into it. 1 died within a few hours, probably from temp shock. The rest seem to just be stressed as all get out. I am just concerned once they unstress how aggressive will they become?

I do have a 110G tub I can try and set them up in if need be, or I can just take them back to the pond they were in and toss them back. Or..if that is not an option, I can always just put them down (sadly, too small to make fillets from...)

Scrup
04-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Ok, going to setup the 110G for them after checking some other forums. I already picked up some anti-parasite stuff for them, and the now exposed goldfish. I could kill the guy that dumped them in...RRGGG.

Furface
04-26-2011, 01:16 PM
The fry pan may be the best solution.
Your pond is too small for far ranging blue gill, which are adapted to large spaces and the ability to quickly escape into lots of cover like pond plants. They have the characteristics of a prey species and always dart away from shadows or any perceived potential threats. They will always be stressed out in your pond. It would be like caging a wild rabbit.

Rue
04-26-2011, 02:25 PM
I can't believe someone just snuck in and dumped fish in your pond.:scry:

Scrup
04-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Well, I transferred them to the larger stock tank where I will keep them until I figure out something to do with them. Will probably end up putting them down, since they have been exposed to the goldfish, I don't want to release them back.

The damage is done though, one of my goldies has some sort of either infection or a parasite. About 70% of its body looks like it is infected somehow. Looks like the slime coat is puffed out about 1/4 of an inch, and the skin is yellow-brown and looks bordering on necrotic. My closest guess would be flukes. Dosed them with some jungle pond tabs, both for parasites and fungus/bacterial infections. Here is hoping it is treatable.

lotus flower
04-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Small fish like bluegills do not necessarily need to be filleted--you could cook them whole. However, if you suspect flukes or parasites of any kind, that is a bad idea. I'm sorry about your goldies. :11:

Scrup
04-27-2011, 12:19 AM
It was well intentioned I guess. I had mentioned to a friend that I eventually want to setup a native tank, and I was considering a bluegill or two, so I think he thought he was doing me a favor by dropping them off. Unfortunately he didn't really get the whole quarantine thing. Going to separate the sick one tonight, I will see if I can get some pictures.

Scrup
04-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Ok, got him moved and just hit him with a total shotgun blast of treatments. Here is hoping.