PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of some plants in my 20 gallon

Mitch p
04-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Hey guys, been reading some of the stickies for plant stuff but I cant really seem to find anything about what i need exactly to have live plants in my tank. I am currently cycling my 20 gallon and am kinda interested in live plants for the benefits in the tank. Does anyone have a good link or list of things that I would give me a push in the right direction for what I need to buy? Thanks!

TypeYourTextHere
04-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Here is a link to most any plant you can find. they are all listed by scientific name, but they are easily referenced via google.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

SunSchein89
04-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Depending on the plants you may want, you could wind up needing nothing or very little. The best thing you can do is make sure your bulb is at least within a good Kelvin range, so the plants can use the light.

Mitch p
04-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Depending on the plants you may want, you could wind up needing nothing or very little. The best thing you can do is make sure your bulb is at least within a good Kelvin range, so the plants can use the light.

Sweet! And how would i go about doing this? Mine is an LED light that came with the aquarium. And I have also read that you need a CO2 diffuser? What is that and what does it do!??!

Here is a link to most any plant you can find. they are all listed by scientific name, but they are easily referenced via google.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

Holy cow! Thank you so much!

Cascade
04-08-2011, 07:20 PM
I honestly wouldn't worry about CO2 just yet. There are a LOT of plants to choose from that don't require anything more than a regular light over the tank. Some that come to mind are Java Fern, Java Moss, and various Anubias species.

Higher maintenance plants may need more sophisticated lighting and a CO2 system. That would involve either a DIY setup with yeast, or a pressurized system that you can purchase. Either way, it's a big thing to get into and not something I'd recommend for starting off with.

I started with plants that really didn't need much from me - once I got the hang of them, I eventually upgraded to a high quality light and am now working on putting together a pressurized CO2 system. If I had it to do over again, I'd take the same path - keep the initial expenses to a minimum (i.e. choose simple plants with minimal requirements) and upgrade later if you wish to get into more complicated plant setups.

Rue
04-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Ee! Unless you want a serious planted tank (emphasis on the plants) just start with some easy low-light species. I have a 25g tank with plants in it (some in pots, some are now happily growing in the gravel). I don't do anything with my plants...other than trim them back.

They're just under the 'normal' hood lights...

If you find you love plants, and get the aquatic plant bug...then you might want a larger tank for them...you can do more that way...THEN you can go wild with special lights, C02, fertilizers...

Stlouisfish
04-08-2011, 08:06 PM
+1 with Rue - I have been slowly adding plants to my 46gal but don't want to deal with fertilizer at this point or get additional lighting - I currently have wisteria (which is doing very well right next to my heater), a java fern, 2 anacharis (which I got at Petsmart - they keep them in a tank), 2 swordplants, an anubia and 2 onion plants - they are all planted right into the gravel - I love the look of live plants and haven't needed to trim any back yet. I read the article in the plants section written by Lady Hobbs about "beginner plants" and chose from there.