PDA

View Full Version : Tankmates? Rocks?

dorkopolis
07-17-2007, 01:03 AM
I finally added fish to my new 75 gallon. I added:
1 Tiger Oscar (about 2-inches long)
1 Pacu (slightly larger.)
1 black-finned shark catfish

I plan to get another small Oscar next week.

What other fish go well with Oscars? I realize that I can't add but maybe one more fish after the oscar, and that I will eventually need a larger tank.

Also, I went to the river today and found a lot of great rocks that are exactly like the ones I used to use in my marine tanks. What is the best way to clean them?

Thanks.

RobbieG
07-17-2007, 01:11 AM
What size rocks - if they are small enough I'd boil them - if not I'd put them in the sink and pour boiling water over them.

VERY carefully!

jeffs99dime
07-17-2007, 01:13 AM
What size rocks - if they are small enough I'd boil them - if not I'd put them in the sink and pour boiling water over them.

VERY carefully!

also, make sure you don't use any rocks such as sandstone and the such because they will leach harmful minerals and dissolve in the tank. is your tank cycled?

Fishguy2727
07-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Sandstone should be safe, it is mainly silicate sand.

What are you going to do with the pacu?

What exact species is the black-finned shark catfish? If it is a columbian shark they are brackish.

In a 75 you can have the two oscars. When you get a bigger tank we can figure out what else you can add.

What filtration do you have?
What is your water change schedule?

dorkopolis
07-17-2007, 01:35 AM

VERY carefully!

Fantastic idea! I'm embarrassed to admit that it never crossed my mind. None are too large to boil! :)

dorkopolis
07-17-2007, 01:41 AM
also, make sure you don't use any rocks such as sandstone and the such because they will leach harmful minerals and dissolve in the tank. is your tank cycled?

Tank is cycled. My 30 gallon has been up for about 5 months (i think) with 4 times more gravel than needed. I took about 25 pounds of cycled gravel from it, and put it in the 75. I added all my live plants from the 30 gallon (about 8) and some decorations from my other tanks, as well. And I transferred a filter as well.

It's too soon to tell if it is cycled, but I have faith in it given the large volume of cultured substrate and the low volume of fish.

this rock is not sandstone. It is very very hard and dense. While I couldn't identify it, I've never had negative results with it before. I am, of course, willing to put a piece in at a time to ensure that nothing negative results from my newly aquired rocks.

dorkopolis
07-17-2007, 01:55 AM
What are you going to do with the pacu?

Oh crap. Why? I just bought him because he and the Oscar were happy together. Is this going to get ugly?I confess right now that I've never kept agressive freshwater fish before.[B]

What exact species is the black-finned shark catfish? If it is a columbian shark they are brackish.

From what I understand, they ARE indeed brackish. But this particular cat has made it for 3 months in a freshwater tank.

I was worried that I'd gotten a brackish fish, but he is the ONLY fish in the tank that is happy with his new home. (Edit: LIE: I usually change 40-50%. If something is wrong, I do closer to 70%)

In a 75 you can have the two oscars. When you get a bigger tank we can figure out what else you can add.

Well right now, that will be two oscars, a pacu, and a black-finned shark. I realise that Oscars are dirty as are goldfish and need a lot of room. I am capable of providing more space WHEN it is needed. I just want a less anororexically stocked tank while my fish are growing. When they get too big, I'll get them a new home. No biggie.

But I would like some action in my tank for the next couple of years, so I'd like to know who I can add that when all tank mates are adults: I want them to fit into 300 gallons.

What filtration do you have?
I have two penguin 350, a powerful undergravel filter, and a little filter that I cannot identify, lol.

What is your water change schedule?

I average about 35% a week, 50% a week if something is going wrong.

Fishguy2727
07-17-2007, 02:15 AM
Ditch the UGF. It is one of the worst forms of filtration, especially in cichlid tanks.

Pacus get about 30", that is the problem, not the aggression.

They can tolerate freshwater, but should not be in it because it will not let them thrive. Long term they will probably not do so well.

Oscars can grow quickly. I had one go from about 2.5" to 5" in about two months. I fed him New Life Spectrum and Hikari Bio-Gold+.

The Biowheels are good, but I would use canisters.

Bring the water changes to 50% weekly if you are not having problems with that large of a water change.

salman
07-17-2007, 02:23 AM

VERY carefully!

Robbie i thought you were telling him to boil the little oscars.. My jaws dropped.. then i read the next post and figured out you were talking about the rocks lol.

You can add alot of predetory fish that go along with oscars. I am not sure if the baby oscars will get along with the bigger ones. Oscars have a big appetite and they will most likely eat anything that fits their mouth!

Fishguy2727
07-17-2007, 02:30 AM
Bichirs (Polypterus spp.) are one good one. Most who get one love them.

NWMountainTroll
07-20-2007, 01:36 AM
You need to get rid of that Pacu immediately, I do not think you realize just how large Pacu grow to be. Here is a picture from google:

http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/images/freshwater_fishing/par_lai/pacu2.jpg

They are powerful enough too that if they get startled they can easily BREAK the glass and spill out your whole tank. This is on tanks even up to 300 gallons!! A pacu requires a minimum of 500 gallons for its early adulthood, and after that you will need to go even larger. I'm not kidding.

dorkopolis
07-20-2007, 03:38 AM
You need to get rid of that Pacu immediately, I do not think you realize just how large Pacu grow to be. Here is a picture from google:

http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/images/freshwater_fishing/par_lai/pacu2.jpg

They are powerful enough too that if they get startled they can easily BREAK the glass and spill out your whole tank. This is on tanks even up to 300 gallons!! A pacu requires a minimum of 500 gallons for its early adulthood, and after that you will need to go even larger. I'm not kidding.

My Pacu is my absolute favorite fish. I though I hated agressive fish, but he is the first fish since my Clown Trigger (13 years ago, when I was 14) that has come up to visit me and let me pat it when I come nearby.

I will provide anything (within reason) for my little Pacu. But I certainly won't buy the other two that I was hoping to get!

dorkopolis
07-20-2007, 03:40 AM

Actually, I was told that not all fish sold as "Pacu" get to be that large. I was under the impression that there were a few species.

Mind has a red belly. Like a Pirahna

Drumachine09
07-20-2007, 03:54 AM
Red bellied pacus have been caught up to three feet long in some instances.

Basically, they are like redtailed catfish. Only people with tanks that arent even pracital for the home should have them.

Drumachine09
07-20-2007, 03:59 AM
They are powerful enough too that if they get startled they can easily BREAK the glass and spill out your whole tank. This is on tanks even up to 300 gallons!!

Here is a quote taken off of:

http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/freshwater/chariciforms/redbellypacu.html

They are known to dispatch glass-encased heaters with some regularity and should thus be either shielded from them or kept warm via titanium heaters.

Fishguy2727
07-20-2007, 12:55 PM
They will get huge if they do not kill themselves along the way (jumping out, breaking tank, etc.). Since they are schooling and hit 2.5-3', they should not be bought unless you are capable of acquiring and maintaining a tank to the effect and minimum of: 10'x6'x3', or so. Even that is probably too small for a minimum sized school.

There are lots of fish that will allow petting and more interaction that are actually practical to keep.

NWMountainTroll
07-21-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm with you though, I absolutely love pacu and wish I could keep them. But unless you can build yourself a 700+ gallon tank it just isn't a good choice of fish. They live to around 25 years btw if cared for properly.

RobbieG
07-21-2007, 12:49 AM
My LFS had 2 about the size of the one in the picture that they had taken in because the owner couldn't care for them. They were beauties - but seening them in person really showed me how poorly I'd ever be able to care for them!

sombereyes1
07-28-2007, 08:32 PM
I have one Oscar thats about 7 inches and one thats about three. They coexist peacefully in a 55-75 gallon tank.

I know people will argue and tell me the tank it to small but they are doing wonderful.

tropfish
07-28-2007, 08:38 PM
They are doind wonderful right now. But when they get bigger your in trouble if you don't get a bigger tank.

sombereyes1
07-28-2007, 08:48 PM
I'll find out.

By the time they are huge I'll be able to get another tank. So it works.

Fishguy2727
07-29-2007, 12:16 AM
What are the dimensions on the tank? A 75, if properly setup and maintained, can handle 2 oscars. Depending on the dimensions and actual capacity, it may or may not be fine, but if you can go bigger, do it. And sooner is always better than later.

sombereyes1
07-29-2007, 03:05 AM
its about a foot wide and 4 feet long. I don't know exacty how high it is but its over 2 feet I think.

Fishguy2727
07-29-2007, 12:34 PM
At only one foot wide, that is the problem. Since oscars can hit 15-18" they need at least an 18" wide tank, which is why a 75 is minimum for them. While they are still smaller it is fine, but it would be best to get them into a bigger tank as soon as you can.

Lady Hobbs
07-29-2007, 12:45 PM
The folks here are trying to help you out. It doesn't do much good if you ask them a question then shoot them all down. They're trying to save you a whole lot of trouble down the line. You will become even more attached to him the longer you have him. And deprive yourself from having other fish.

I have a pony in my living room. Right now he fits but I know he will get way to large for my living room but I'm gonna keep him anyway and maybe in 5 years I can just buy a huge house. ??

Lady Hobbs
07-29-2007, 12:47 PM
My sons Oscar flipped up a rock and broke his 100 gallon tank. I'd make sure they were too large for the fish to move.

TracyUK
07-29-2007, 05:43 PM
If you take a look at my sig with the list of my fish, its a very odd combination as i have an angel in with my oscars, but its worked fine and if anything the angel bullies the oscars! Had no problems with them at all though and they live in harmony.

Fishguy2727
07-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Exceptions to general trends should not be considered when deciding compatibility. It is just not the likely outcome.

Lady Hobbs
07-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I can't remember what Crack has together. I think he said an Oscar and a Convict maybe? They've been together since babies and are the best of buds. Just depends on their temperament.

Drumachine09
07-29-2007, 11:03 PM
I can't remember what Crack has together. I think he said an Oscar and a Convict maybe? They've been together since babies and are the best of buds. Just depends on their temperament.

Oscar and a blood parrot was it?