PDA

View Full Version : Trimming question

TypeYourTextHere
04-06-2011, 02:56 AM
I got a Melon Sword AKA Echinodorus osiris tonight and it looks great, except for one leaf which can barley be considered a leaf. It is hanging on by a thread and I was wondering if i hack off the leaf at the base of the leaf will it grow back, or should i hack off the stem at the substrate? It is a really big eyesore and i did not think it was as bad as it was when i saw it in the store.22588

Cascade
04-06-2011, 03:08 AM
I think I have the same kind of sword, and I believe you are seeing the non-aquatic leaves starting to die off. Mine came with those oval shaped leaves, which are now turning yellow and dying... to be replaced with longer, pointier, ribbed leaves. I actually like the "aquatic" look better than the oval leaves.

I would trim it back as close to the base as you can without harming the rest of the plant. It won't grow back, but it will be replaced by more leaves that will grow out from the base.

TypeYourTextHere
04-06-2011, 03:11 AM
That's what I figured would happen. I don't know much of anything about plants at all. I am not sure about your aquatic leaves statement though. None of the other leaves look this way. only time will tell :ssmile:
Thanks

Cascade
04-06-2011, 01:46 PM
No problem. Mine started off looking just like yours, now it is growing long reddish leaves. It still has some of the old leaves after about a month, but they are slowly being replaced. I looked it up quickly this morning, and here is what I found (the link has pictures of aquatic and non-aquatic leaves):
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/melon-swordplant/

"As with the majority of species in this genus, E. osiris is a bog (marsh) plant in nature, spending half the year emersed (during which it flowers) and half submersed. It adapts well to fully-submersed conditions, although aquatic leaves will be quite different from emersed leaves, in shape, size and texture. Newly-purchased plants have often been propagated emersed by nurseries and have oval reddish-brown leaves; when grown in the aquarium the developing submersed leaves will be long and lanceolate, and the older leaves will yellow and should then be removed."

Stlouisfish
04-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Your pic looks exactly like my sword - I just got mine last week from Petsmart (in gel) - now I know why the leaf looks like that!

TypeYourTextHere
04-06-2011, 03:54 PM
No problem. Mine started off looking just like yours, now it is growing long reddish leaves. It still has some of the old leaves after about a month, but they are slowly being replaced. I looked it up quickly this morning, and here is what I found (the link has pictures of aquatic and non-aquatic leaves):
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/melon-swordplant/

"As with the majority of species in this genus, E. osiris is a bog (marsh) plant in nature, spending half the year emersed (during which it flowers) and half submersed. It adapts well to fully-submersed conditions, although aquatic leaves will be quite different from emersed leaves, in shape, size and texture. Newly-purchased plants have often been propagated emersed by nurseries and have oval reddish-brown leaves; when grown in the aquarium the developing submersed leaves will be long and lanceolate, and the older leaves will yellow and should then be removed."

My mistake. I am sorry i doubted your knowledge.:ssmile:

Cascade
04-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Haha no problem at all! :ssmile: I went through the same "Oh gosh what's happening to my beautiful plant??" thought process just a few weeks ahead of you. I just wanted to save you from the panic when the rest of the leaves die off too... but by then you'll have the pretty aquatic leaves to enjoy thumbs2: