PDA

View Full Version : catching shrimp w/ a snail question

Lady Hobbs
04-05-2011, 03:18 PM
I drop an alge pellet in the tank and within 5 minutes must have 30 shrimp eating on it. I don't know how they find it so fast. One dip of the net and I can haul out a gaggle of them at once. I betcha if I put an alge pellet in a jar and lay it on it's side, I can really catch them.

But I have an assassin snail question. I have found two of them now gutted. Nothing there but the shell. Today I found a whole pile of shrimp crawling around on one of the snails. Could the shrimp possibly be eating the snails? Never heard of it but I don't know why the snails are being found dead unless they are simply dying and then being devoured.

Brhino
04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
I've got assassins and RCS together, and I've only found one empty assassin snail ever so far. My guess would be that, as usual, the shrimp are eating a dead body rather than killing a live snail. However, I have seen a shrimp grab and start eating a live brine shrimp, so I guess it's not totally out of the question. I just don't see what weapons a shrimp even has that could harm a snail... the snails could always just close their trap door if they were being attacked, after all.

Lady Hobbs
04-05-2011, 04:23 PM
That's what I thought. They could also crawl into the substrate. I didn't think it likely but thought I'd ask. Thanks

ArkD'Julie
04-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I just don't see what weapons a shrimp even has that could harm a snail... the snails could always just close their trap door if they were being attacked, after all.

lol... I found this funny! Was thinking that a hammer and chisel would do it. Sorry. :hammerdrill:

Lady Hobbs
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I've found more dead assassins since this thread. I smash a snail and the shrimp are all over it eating at it so I just wondered if they could do that to an assassin. Guess not but wish I knew why they were dying.

Trillianne
04-25-2011, 03:11 PM
That does seem odd. The only assassin snail I've lost was to my volcano decoration. It was small enough it wedges itself down by the bubbler area.

I don't have shrimp, but I do have kuhli loaches.

Are they more baby size fatalities or adult ones?

superbsite
04-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I use a long planting too pincers to crush a snail when I spot them. Midway and the Top while its sinking. The Black Neons will take a dig at it and by the time it reaches the bottom. The Amanos clear them. But yet to see them pick any live one.