PDA

View Full Version : 10G Lighting for low light Plants

zfarsh
04-05-2011, 03:09 PM
I have a 10G Tank with low light plants only. I have put a standard lamp on top of the Aquarium, with a spiral 26W = 100 W Daylight fluorescent light. Is this too much? If so, pls tell me what Wattage and equivalent incandescent wattage to have. Example, 26 W = 100W, or 13 W = 60 W, etc... I dont want to burn my plants, eventhough i like the current lighting setup, as it is bright enough for me to see everything in the tank.

Thanks in advance.

dragoonwoman
04-05-2011, 03:22 PM
With the higher light level (2.6 watts per gallon) you might start seeing algae. You'll get less algae if you either reduce the lighting OR start adding Excel/CO2 and some ferts.

The more light you have, the more the plants want to grow. If they don't have the nutrients (ferts) or carbon (Excel/CO2) they need, they stop growing and the algae takes over. It's a balancing act.

Flourish has a very good line of products - Excel and "plain" Flourish (actually "Complete") work very well for me in all my tanks.

By "Daylight" I'm assuming the Kelvin is in the 5000 - 6700 range? That's perfect for plants.

Cascade
04-05-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't believe that the watts per gallon rule o' thumb applies to the spiral CFL bulbs. I think it only applies to straight fluorescent bulbs and, even then, is a little shaky as it depends on reflector quality, etc.

I would say your current setup is probably pretty good for your low light plants. They will let you know if it's not, and with enough time for you to correct the problem before it's too late. Watch for yellowing, leaves dying off, etc... if none of that occurs (and if they are growing and developing new leaves), I would say leave as is.

zfarsh
04-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys. I was thinking of getting liquid fertilizer, so if i get Florish Complete, how often and how much should i put in the tank as a rough general rule? I have used liquid fertilizer on teresterial plants, but never on aquatic. Also, i am guessing this is fine for fish?

Cascade
04-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Yep, fine for fish. The bottle will have dosing instructions, make sure you follow those as an overdose is not safe, just like with terrestrial plants.

You could also look into root tabs, I haven't used them but know many do. That way you can just stick 'em in and leave them.

dragoonwoman
04-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Flourish is fine with fish; it's made for aquariums so don't worry.

Follow the instructions on the bottle and watch your plants. If they do well at dosing 3 times a week, then stay with that. If they seem to need more, dose more often, even every day.

I let my plants tell me what they need. After a while of aquatic gardening, you learn to "read" the plants and adjust things accordingly.

Good luck!