PDA

View Full Version : What kind of shrimp should i get?

TypeYourTextHere
04-04-2011, 11:26 AM
I was curious as to what types of shrimp and how many would be good for my 75 gallon when it is done cycling? I don't really want another Pleco, and i don't care for most cats in general. I saw ghost shrimp at Petsmart for .33 cents, but i didn't know if there were other types that are more "pretty" than the ghosts.

crawls
04-04-2011, 11:36 AM
I have ghosts, I think they're pretty cool because you can see inside them as they eat.

My little boy loves watching them eat more than he likes the fish in the tank.

dragoonwoman
04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
You'll need ones that are better at eating algae. Most of the readily available shrimp are good at that - look for Amano shrimp, as they are among the best. There are several kinds of shrimp that are very attractive, so you can pick and choose what looks best to you.

IME ghosts have been unhealthy from the store, because most places stock them as feeders, which means they get the absolute minimal care, and are usually overcrowded in tanks as well.

CAVEAT: Any fish with a large enough mouth will consider shrimp a very tasty snack. You will need to consider that when stocking your tank.

Have you considered oto cats? Otocinclus catfish are VERY good algae eaters, they stay small (about 2") and are very pretty (well, I think so anyway). They need a school to do best, but with a 75 gallon tank you have MORE than enough room for a group! And unless you're keeping BIG fish, they won't be eaten by their tankmates.

Stlouisfish
04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I have 2 amano shrimp and plan on getting a few more. They are large enough so the fish don't bother them and once they stopped hiding they are quite entertaining - plus, they are having a field day with the algae in my tank! I picked them up at Petsmart for about $3 each. I could have gotten some ghost shrimp but worried that my larger fish (danios & black skirts) would try and pick at them because they are quite small.

Cascade
04-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Red cherry shrimp are pretty cool looking, plus you don't have to hunt through the tank to try to find them (the red stands out pretty well!). Mine do eat a lot of algae, though they aren't as efficient as a couple of otos.

sphingo
04-04-2011, 02:30 PM
I have both Cherry Red and ghost in my tank and I like the combination. IME ghost shrimp don't eat much algae but they prefer the fish food. They help to keep the bottom of my tank clean from any food the fish miss. Red cherry shrimp on the other hand are very good at keeping algae off of plants but they don't come out as much. They really like hiding under my driftwood.

Taupo
04-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm going to second the above two posters and say cherry shrimp are very pretty. Their colour may lighten if you have pale substrate, but they look very striking on dark or black gravel.

Many fish will eat them (even if they're not large enough to swallow them they can nip at their legs) so do a google search to make sure the fish you're keeping are okay with them.

Cherry shrimp breed easily so make sure you have a shop nearby that would be happy to buy your excess.

Another very pretty shrimp is the bumblebee. I don't know much about them but they have gorgeous red/brown/black and white stripes.

cazelgetto
04-04-2011, 11:28 PM
i personally would go with red cherry, wood shrimp or bumblebee shrmp if you are looking for a different looking shrimp if you want algea cleaner i would go with a amano shrimp

TypeYourTextHere
04-04-2011, 11:59 PM
i personally would go with red cherry, wood shrimp or bumblebee shrmp if you are looking for a different looking shrimp if you want algea cleaner i would go with a amano shrimp

I have not been able to find any of those types of shrimp anywhere. I did however see some bamboo shrimp at Petco. I think i might buy a couple of those when im done cycling.

cazelgetto
04-05-2011, 12:01 AM
just so u no wood shrimp are the same as bamboo shrimp:22:

TypeYourTextHere
04-05-2011, 12:08 AM
just so u no wood shrimp are the same as bamboo shrimp:22:

Now I know, Thanks. thumbs2:

sphingo
04-05-2011, 12:38 AM
you can get red cherry off of ebay for not that much. I got mine from a guy named Mr_bullfrogs_aquatic_critters and they have been very hardy. I gave about a dollar a piece from him.

TypeYourTextHere
04-05-2011, 10:03 AM
you can get red cherry off of ebay for not that much. I got mine from a guy named Mr_bullfrogs_aquatic_critters and they have been very hardy. I gave about a dollar a piece from him.

I have been very hesitant to purchase fish online. I just don't want to pay for fish that are going to arrive dead.

dragoonwoman
04-05-2011, 01:53 PM
I've ordered fish and shrimp through the mail several times now. The shippers are very careful about packing, because it costs THEM if you get a package of DOAs - they have to replace the order, although you may have to pay the shipping cost again.

The shrimp I got from AquaBid were uniformly healthy and active. AquaBid also has a large assortment of shrimp types and colors - bamboo/wood, Amano, cherries, snowballs, yellow, green, tiger, marble, red and black crystals - take your pick!

Compare the listings a bit and I'm sure you'll find just the right combo of price, color and quantity to satisfy you.

Cascade
04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
The cherry shrimp at my local stores are 4 and 5 bucks each... no way I was gonna pay that much for potential tetra food! I bought 17 from a seller on aquabid for $15 and free shipping. It was really buy 15, get 2 bonus shrimp in case any die... but all 17 arrived alive and kicking. They were shipped with a heat pack and did great coming all the way from Ohio to Washington via priority mail. The post office was even a day late, so the heat pack was cold by the time I got it, but I had zero losses.

I'm with you, I was also hesitant to purchase online and ship, but I decided to take a chance for $15 and it was well worth it. Now I have tons of shrimp (I didn't think they would be able to multiply in my community tank because of the tetras, but with all the plants, babies are definitely surviving).

sphingo
04-05-2011, 03:34 PM
When I got mine I had no Dead on arrivals, and he had thrown in a few extras just in case I had any DOA. When the red cherry shrimp arrived they had a somewhat blueish color to them, but turned nice and red once the bag had warmed up. I wouldn't be to concerned about ordering them offline, just read reviews of the seller, that should let you know if you can trust them or not.thumbs2:

TypeYourTextHere
04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
I will definitely give is a go then. Clearly if they ship them carefully they know what they are doing (or you would hope).

genocidex
04-05-2011, 07:10 PM
dont get the bamboo shrimp if you are looking for algae eaters. they are filter feeders. ive just recently found this out myself on my thread about shrimp.

TypeYourTextHere
04-05-2011, 08:29 PM
dont get the bamboo shrimp if you are looking for algae eaters. they are filter feeders. ive just recently found this out myself on my thread about shrimp.

What do you mean by "filter feeders"?

Cascade
04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
They sit in one spot (typically with a decent current) with their "hands" up, waiting to catch something that is going by in the water flow. Pretty cool to watch, but they won't walk around picking up things like algae and whatnot off of plants or the substrate.

Goes to 11!
04-05-2011, 10:42 PM
What do you mean by "filter feeders"?

http://www.shrimpdiaries.com/bamboo-shrimp-feeding-habits/ :22: