PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about it...

yasai6500
04-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm thinking about doing a betta tank with my 5 gal. What equipment do I need? I heard I dont need a filter...I'm pretty sure I need a heater...anything else besides the other basics?

Rue
04-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Excellent!

They do need a filter. They should have a heater...however if your house is on the warm side...you could dispense with one. If you're house is on the cool side...you need a heater. Betta love plants...so a couple of low light plants would be great, and make for a beautiful tank.

Make sure the tank is cycled before you buy the betta itself.

Cyberra
04-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Bettas are relatively easy to care for. I have eight bettas (three females and five males) in six different tanks, none of which has a heater, filter, or air stone. This does mean that I have to do 100% water changes weekly. If that's more work than you'd like to get into, I'd recommend a filter and gravel siphon. And maybe a live plant or two.

A male betta can be kept with a few plants and some ornaments. A 5 gal can also be used to create a sorority tank for up to three female bettas, as I've done with my 5-gal..

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Picture1741.jpg

Just be sure to give them lots of hiding places

lotus flower
04-03-2011, 02:22 AM
In addition to the above info, I'd just like to add:

1. Buy pellets, not flakes. Your betta will spit the flakes out and laugh at you for being such a silly, naive human as to think that he/she would deign to eat such "common" fish food. They are quite the prima donnas.

2. If you use a filter (which I would strongly urge you do, since it makes it easier to keep water conditions healthy), make sure you either have an adjustable water flow on it or that you have some sponge or filter bags to put over the outflow to decrease the water turbulence. With males, it is especially hard for them to swim against a strong current, due to their long fins.

Welcome to the betta club! Best of luck! :11:

Brhino
04-03-2011, 02:33 AM
I also recommend a filter for the betta's tank. Cyberra, I'm curious... have you ever tested your water parameters just before one of your 100% water changes?

Cyberra
04-03-2011, 03:03 AM
I also recommend a filter for the betta's tank. Cyberra, I'm curious... have you ever tested your water parameters just before one of your 100% water changes?
The only test kit I have is for ammonia. When it tests just above zero I do a water change. Shimmer and Midnight have been with me since November, and they are doing fine

tori.lock
04-03-2011, 07:13 AM
I really do recommend a filter for them. It keeps the water cleaner, clearer, the current is actually good for them, and it's less work for you. I also think heaters are more ideal. When kept at warmer temps, 76-78F, they are much more energetic.