PDA

View Full Version : Hard-to-feed betta

Cyberra
04-01-2011, 02:26 AM
My beautiful crowntail Searchlight is a bit hard to feed... He seems to have a small mouth. I have to pick out the smallest pellets I can find, and one at a time. He will chase them all around the surface of the tank, snapping and lunging at it until he finally gets it in his mouth >> Feeding him takes longer than the others, but I don't really mind the extra time.

lotus flower
04-01-2011, 02:30 AM
When my girl was little (the smallest in the store, at that), she would try and try but even the smallest pellets were too big. Eventually, she'd let them sit in the water long enough that they'd soften up enough for her to peck away little bits and pieces and consume those. She grew quickly with proper feeding, though, and it wasn't a problem. Perhaps your little guy will grow out of this phase.

Or, you could try pre-soaking the pellets. I also find that the Omega One brine shrimp treats are easy to break apart into tiny pieces or grind up into a fine powder (I do this for my ghost shrimp). You might try that as a supplement, in addition to regular food.

Brhino
04-01-2011, 02:33 AM
for my small danios, I crushed pellets with the backside of a spoon, and feed them the broken pieces. You can also get some NLS in really, really small pellets...

Cyberra
04-01-2011, 02:46 AM
^^ I'll crush up some pellets and try feeding them to him in the morning. And Searchlight's about an inch long from head to the base of his tail, maybe a little shorter. He's fair-sized.

And he's a bit on the fence about brine shrimp... I have some, but he only looks at them. He hasn't tried to eat them that I've noticed

cideon
04-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Maybe you could also try a cut up block of frozen food, like bloodworms or tubifex worms? It should start to dissolve quickly and be in small enough mushy pieces that he would be able to eat.