PDA

View Full Version : Try this piece of Styrofoam for DIY background

Lady Hobbs
07-16-2007, 02:04 AM
http://www.fishforums.net/lofiversion/index.php/t130426.html

HA! I'd have it in 300 pieces.

RobbieG
07-16-2007, 02:16 AM
Looks like it would be easier to just cut one of the big roots in half and silicone it to the wall

Lady Hobbs
07-16-2007, 02:25 AM
No kidding. You have to break it apart to get it in the tank anyway. I see he likes to work in the middle of his living room too. :)

Drumachine09
07-16-2007, 02:59 AM
That looks REALLY cool! The cool thing about the roots idea is you can scale it down to fit any size tank.

nanaglen2001
07-16-2007, 06:16 AM
I like this idea. Its an unusual background, and he used the perfect colour. Here in Germany you can buy mangrove wood and roots for tank decoration, and I know the color.

Inetresting will be which kind of color he will use BETWEEn those roots.

I think its not too much work to cut away the spaces between, all you need is a real sharp carpet knife. And I would use somewhat thicker styrofoame. But thats just a matter of taste.

dev
07-16-2007, 06:43 AM
Looks like quite a project. I'm glad I didn't pick that size for my first one :)

crackatinny
07-16-2007, 06:43 AM
Looks great, but the idea of styrofoam in the aquarium just sounds dangerous to me

nanaglen2001
07-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Styrofoam isnt dangerous, as long you use the correct colors and finish.

What I dont like with styrofoam is its habit to float, or at least its trying to float. When you use this stuff one practically ruins his/her back of a tank, cause one needs loads of silicone to keep that stuff where it shall stay.

Ever tried to scratch away silicone??? aaagh

dev
07-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Styrofoam isnt dangerous, as long you use the correct colors and finish.

Very true, the styrofoam itself is just about as toxic as a filter sponge :)

Ever tried to scratch away silicone??? aaagh

Silicone can be removed with with a few tricks. First cut away what you can using a razor blade. Then rub the rest off with talcum powder, before finally cleaning off any stains with isopropanol. It takes a bit of work, but it is doable. Some commercial products are also available to make this easier, but you need to be carefull so you don't damage the silicone holding your tank together.

I prefer to use non-toxic heat activated glue instead of silicone. Makes it harder to cut the background out from the tank, but the glue itself is much easier to remove. You also need less of it, and I love the fact that it hardens within a few minutes xD

If you are paranoid you can use silicone around the edges, to seal off the glue. Of course you must then wait for the silicone to dry.

(yay, my 300th post, and in only two weeks *laugh*)

Lady Hobbs
07-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Crack, the Styrofoam is covered in a quick set cement and allowed to either cure or sealed with epoxy. I would think this might be hard to hold in place, however. I would have liked to have seen some finished pictures.

An electric knife probably would work fairly well at cutting this stuff like that.

salman
07-17-2007, 02:38 AM
That would take me 50 years to do, atleast!